Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
So I've had my 2019 frontier S for a couple months now and really enjoying the truck.
As these things go, it's hard to leave things as they are. So I started making a few upgrades. Swapped out the stock radio, put a set of Falken wildpeak tires on pro 4x rims and most recently decided to install better shocks. Went with Bilstein 4600. They arrived yesterday and I got a chance to put them on today.
What I noticed after installing the new shocks, the truck seems to feel more "composed". More stable and not so jittery on bumps. When I had the stock shocks off I compressed one by hand and noticed it was very easy to compress but was slow to rebound, the Bilstein is the exact opposite. Very hard to compress but quick to rebound. Test drove it with the stock 15 inch 235/75r15 tires which are 10 lb lighter than the Falken wheel assemblies. I hope truck feels as good with the other wheels too.
This is a worth while mod for all stock 4 cyl trucks in my opinion. What do the rest of you run as a setup on 4 cyl trucks?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Very cool! Will certainly agree that larger tires & nice wheels really dress up these trucks. Is your KC S auto trans or manual? Since you moved into taller tires, how much has this affected your acceleration overall? Are you finding hwy cruising acceptable or needing to downshift more when it comes to inclines/hills taken at hwy speeds?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool! Will certainly agree that larger tires & nice wheels really dress up these trucks. Is your KC S auto trans or manual? Since you moved into taller tires, how much has this affected your acceleration overall? Are you finding hwy cruising acceptable or needing to downshift more when it comes to inclines/hills taken at hwy speeds?
So my S is auto 😣, no standard option in Canada for this trim level. It's nice for comfort, but I wanted standard. All that being said the truck drives way more comfortable with 4x wheels and offroad tires and shocks. I find I can hardly hear or feel the strip on the side of the highway if I cross it. Acceleration is pretty much the same, not felt in the seat of the pants. I don't tow much at the moment, but being a 4 banger it downshifts even empty if I'm going up a steep grade. The Falken tires are up 1.7% I believe. Speedo is off by 4-5 km per hour. With these upgrades and new roll up tonneau arriving Wednesday this thing is turning into a little 4 cyl baby "Nismo". Heading out to a beach tomorrow with mixed surfaces (rough Quebec back roads and washboard dirt road). Going to really put it through its paces

·
Registered
143 Posts
Has it improved cornering? I’ve been wanting to upgrade to Blistien 5100s all around, but am waiting to save money for upgraded rear springs as well, and get it all done at once.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update. After driving rough roads yesterday, including washboard dirt road for 10km, I'm happy to report it drives awesome. Handling and cornering is awesome now. Honestly, the only reason Nissan would put those other shocks on would be to upsell the higher model trucks. I mean if anyone test drove the truck with my old shocks and then Bilstein ones they would chose the one with Bilstein ones. I think the 4 cyl trucks would sell in higher numbers if they handled better.
Wheel "bounce" is gone on my truck now, as well as the box bounce. It is more composed all around. Saved a ton of cash on the S model and threw a few bucks at it to make it proper...couldn't be happier.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Very cool to hear! Nissan has their methods of trying to pry more money out of folks.

(The 2.5 5-sp Gen 2 was my solid 2nd choice...and I know I'd have been happy w/ it. But, my right foot & adrenal glands got what they wanted in the 4.0.)

Reactions: Rabbitsfoot

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has it improved cornering? I’ve been wanting to upgrade to Blistien 5100s all around, but am waiting to save money for upgraded rear springs as well, and get it all done at once.
Unless you're lifting your truck, 5100's are not needed. Go for 4600's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts