Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
tires will make bigger difference than the shocks - bils are probably a little stiffer until they warm up, but under heavy use will not fade as fast

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've owned both and the difference isn't huge, but it is noticeable. Personally, I think the Pro 4X rides better. My wife thinks so too, which is why I'm getting ready to swap the shocks on her Xterra S to the OEM Bilsteins. If you're not looking for the extra stuff and added expense you could go that route too. If you plan to go up to the 265/75/16 tire size I really recommend the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y’all.

I’ll be going up in tire size when I put a little bit of a lift on it. Not immediately but prolly within a year or so.

Thanks!

·
Registered
544 Posts
While I've no other truck to compare to I just did NOT like how the all season tires on the SV felt "unsettled" while going through any large road irregularities. To which I swapped out a set of Hankook ATM tires stock on the P4X and I'm quite pleased with the improvement.

As to the shocks and springs keep in mind that the rear springs are absolutely NO different between any model, so any improvement at all will come via the shocks alone. The front has slightly different springs between models but to what degree I can not say, likely a slightly stiffer spring on the P4X.

Since my SV rides interstate least 98 or 99 percent of the time and only sees the likes a a few 2-lane dirt tracks I'll ride the stock KYB shocks for a while and save for a set of 5100 Bilsteins like just about everyone else does down the road...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just switched from a 2017 SV to a 2018 Pro-4X this week. So far, the ride on pavement feels just about identical to me. Off road, the Pro-4X ride is quite noticeably better.

Thanks. I think you’ve made up my mind. I’ll probably get the pro4x with or without luxury package. Whatever they can find me in gunmetal, silver or white.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Thanks. I think you’ve made up my mind. I’ll probably get the pro4x with or without luxury package. Whatever they can find me in gunmetal, silver or white.

Thanks!
I really like the gunmetal color, but the reason I bought the new truck is because my "old" one was totaled in a rear-end collision. That was the second time I was rear-ended while stopped at a light in that truck. I'm half-convinced that the gunmetal color blends in to the asphalt, causing ***holes on their phones to not see it until it's too late. Maybe I'm just paranoid though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha I hear ya. And there might be something to that!

But All I see in 250mi radius that interests me is a silver non luxury and a white with luxury. So guess I gotta spend the next few weeks (while I consider and put my mustang back stock) is do I want the luxury package or not.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a 2016 Pro 4x without the luxury package. I had no need for the roof rack, sun roof. I would have liked the electric seats. The non luxury package has manual adjustments for similar seating adjustment like the electric. They also have a manual lumbar support.

As far as the sun roof. It does take away head room in the cab.

In the end I do not regret getting the non lux package. As far as electric seats. My Ram had them and once adjusted I rarely moved the seats.

I test drove both the SV and the Pro. I liked the handling and ride better on the Pro. Also wanted GPS which I could not get on the SV.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
In the end I do not regret getting the non lux package. As far as electric seats. My Ram had them and once adjusted I rarely moved the seats.
That's how I feel about electric seats too, not a lot of reason to move 'em once they're set. My wife and I have found that we can drive trucks and SUVs comfortably with the same mirror and seat-base positions too, just have to adjust the recline.

Unless a power seat has a memory function where it'll revert to however I want it, it might actually be a detriment rather than a benefit.

·
Registered
544 Posts
As far as the sun roof. It does take away head room in the cab.

I wonder how much headroom I'm losing having the Sun/Moonroof? I'm 6'2" and have never noted a lack of headroom at all...
The only time that I wished for the electric seats has been on the occasion that I've had a leggy backseat passenger that I wanted to give up a little legroom of my own for, but that is rare so it is not really missed. At a large 275 and 74 inches I'm quite comfortable with the SV package driving the 625 mile one way treck to work 8 plus times a year..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m 6’2” and didn’t have a height problem in my xterra when I had it.

But about the seats. Mostly, I would want the cooled seats (I know they heated in the base pro 4x). How well does the seat cooling work? I know it don’t work for crud in my mustang.....

·
Registered
994 Posts
My SV 4x4 drives much smoother on the road than my friends 2011 Pro-4x, while mines brand new I assume that has to do with it. but no questions its much smoother on the road. He has leather and sub woofer mine is just an SV with SV value package so maybe the few hundred pounds made the difference ,but I would say my road tires compared to his AT tires is the difference. off road his locker will help but we've done the same obstacles and even both got stuck at the same points (no rock climbing)

I couldn't justify the 6-8k dollar difference for 250.00 shocks,white gauges and a locker.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I couldn't justify the 6-8k dollar difference for 250.00 shocks,white gauges and a locker.
6-8k??? I only paid about $2000 more for my Pro-4X over the SV. With the current Nissan insentives, you can get a Pro-4X Titan for $6-8k more than an SV Frontier. The luxury package is about $2000, so the difference should be more like $2-4k

·
Registered
994 Posts
sticker on mine 31k, sticker on the cheapest pro-4x 37k.

Dealer had about 5 pro-4x.

oh and not sure what the luxury package is, but my must have's was the SV value truck package which is leather wrapped wheel,shift knob,spray in liner.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Brilliant Silver hides casual dirt really well...fwiw & fyi.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts