Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asked this on my intro and got no response so thought it my get some feedback here. I have a 2012 King Cab. Thus far it has been a great tow vehicle. I would like to get a roof rack for kayaks. Anyone have any knowledge of Rhino Rack Vortex Aero 2500 Roof Rack? E trailer says it will work

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I do not have any experience with it .... sorry. Just wanted to let you know that your post was read anyway

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Not familiar with it but if it shows compatible should be good. I would consider getting the highest weight capacity and best loading options. After 8-10 hours on the water, hoisting kayaks on your roof is no fun. I presume you'd be using the J cradles or stacking to mount them.

ORS Racks Direct seem to have a good selection, but doesn't look like they carry Rhino.

Not sure if the bed extender is an option for you too - works great on short trips and much easier to load/unload.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I second the J-hook suggestion above, I don t know how wide the aftermarket racks are but on the stock roof racks the only way you can load 2 kayaks is with J-hooks or 1 J hook and 1 saddle mount. Also not sure what type of Kayaks you are loading, but I have 3 sea kayaks from 16-17.5' and I load them from the bed easily enough. I just slide them up into the J-hook cradle from behind the truck then jump up in the bed and slide it the rest of the way in and rotate them in. Its easy even after a day in the water.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for input. Yea, would use the J rack attachment. Bed is not much of an option as we use it for camp gear and am using a toneau cover. We camp near water a lot and the roof rack seems to best option for us. Trust etrailer but nice to have real world experience from others if possible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've actually ordered Rhino Racks for my 2010 crew cab from etrailer.com and it works wonders for my needs. I do the same thing you're looking to do, haul my and my wife's kayaks on the cab and camping gear in the bed. The rails, assuming you have a naked roof, install with feet that lock into the door jambs. They install with a security allen bit to a 4-5 Newton meter torque spec. I use 40 in-lbs since that's what my torque wrench measures in and I have not had any problems with them being loose. The only difference between your king cab and my crew cab in installing them is the distance between the bars on the king cab is 150mm (about 6 inches) closer then they would be on the crew cab.

Edit: Dimensions

1 - 6 of 6 Posts