Nissan Frontier Forum banner

RF subwoofer improved, FWIW

10K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  bearman1216 
#1 ·
I decided to take a closer look at the RF subwoofer in my 2018 P4X. It has two 6" DVC woofers, 1.1 ohm each. I thought it sounded "ok" for its size but not great -- loud, but pretty boomy. I opened it up to see what was up and saw that it was an empty, reinforced plastic box. Actually quite sturdy and rigid, and completely sealed with rubber gaskets on the woofer frames. Beefy magnets on the woofers. The screws that hold the front grille on also hold the speakers in place. I thought maybe some polyfill would help so I stuffed it about 2/3 full and hooked it back up. Surprisingly it helped a lot! The bass is much tighter, punchier, and a bit deeper, and the excessive boominess gone. A definite improvement.

See less See more
#2 ·
Would be a good experiment to actually measure with an RTA to compare if it's actually "a bit deeper and less boomy", or if it's placebo... because polyfill isn't that magical :)

#3 ·
Yes, it would be good to have been able to measure before and after. If I had the equipment I would have. But between tests like this proving the concept, my previous experience with building speakers, and listening to reference songs I'm very familiar with before and after, I'm confident it made a difference. But I'll take placebo, too ;-)

#5 ·
Whatever. Like I said, FWIW. Just my opinion and impression of the results. Others might want to try it. Or not. Responses like yours make me wonder why I bother posting anything.

#6 ·
LOL relax buddy, don't get all defensive... it was tongue in cheek.

FWIW this is a forum - you're not the only one who can post your opinion and impressions, so don't get all sensitive if you don't always get a "oh hey that's so awesome wow!" every now and then.

GLHF

#8 ·
#9 ·
Hah! Never mind. This helps, but still makes my brain hurt!

#12 ·
I have, just not in my truck.

I just mentioned them off the top of my head because the RF box uses 6" drivers, and I've seen the Skar 6" subs in another install elsewhere. I'll tell you this - the 6" Skar subs I saw are air movers for sure! Whether they'd work in the RF enclosure is the experiment.

Haha I just made a WTB ad for a used RF enclosure, if I find a suitable one I might try this myself

#13 ·
Don't know if they are still doing this, but I know back in the day if you couldn't use the proper sized box for the subs you had then stuffing them with batting somehow "tricked" the subs into sounding like they were in a bigger enclosure. Might be same concept going on here due to the wedged shape of the OEM box. :unsure:

#15 ·
Of course we've come a long way since then. No longer can you hook a Kraco 40W power booster up to a Roadmaster radio to play Metallica on a bare 6 X 9 speaker stuck to the metal floor of a '58 Ford Stepside pickup, but it was fun while it lasted! Lol. The wacky weed helped to bring out the guitar solos. o_O:ROFLMAO:

#23 ·
What about Kraco ? Lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.