Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dying and very close to dead. Started about a week ago where it would spit out all of it's CD when I turn the truck off. Then it was the volume would not change, sometime at zero. Today I was listening to the radio on my commute at stuck (acceptable) volume. Then all of a sudden it goes to MAX, then back then MAX... AAHHRRHHR. I like the HU somewhat. Is there a fix. Should I unplug it and plug it back in? Pull it out and spray with compressed air? Could it have something to do with moisture or the cold?

This last summer I had the option of buying a used working (alleged) RF unit. I passed it up as mine was still ok. The display went out for a day once. I am getting to a point where buying and storing "spares" is getting out of hand, so I passed. It was a good deal too. Now I am considering my options.

Do I find a used RF unit from ebay. Not too cheap. $150ish.

As I am not going to be getting a new truck anytime soon I would like to modern it up a little. I really like my wife bluetooth. A back up camera would be nice. A front facing camera would be super useful at times too. DVD, GPS Nav... What about steering wheel controls.

So what do I do. My buddy install a $100 double din China unit in his bemmer several years ago and he loved it.

I do not spend much time in the A/V section of this thread. I am not an audiophile, but can not live without music or radio.

Educate/help me.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I was going to say compressed air....
Contact cleaner on the volume knob?

I bet there are at least a half dozen forum members with this RF head unit removed from there truck (Installed new aftermarket H/U) sitting collecting dust in the corner of there garage.
Post a "Wanted" in the "Classifieds" here on clubfrontier?

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is more than just a dirty contact, as the steering wheel controls don't help the vol either. You see the numbers click up and down but the nothing changes.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Dying and very close to dead. Started about a week ago where it would spit out all of it's CD when I turn the truck off. Then it was the volume would not change, sometime at zero. Today I was listening to the radio on my commute at stuck (acceptable) volume. Then all of a sudden it goes to MAX, then back then MAX... AAHHRRHHR. I like the HU somewhat. Is there a fix. Should I unplug it and plug it back in? Pull it out and spray with compressed air? Could it have something to do with moisture or the cold?

This last summer I had the option of buying a used working (alleged) RF unit. I passed it up as mine was still ok. The display went out for a day once. I am getting to a point where buying and storing "spares" is getting out of hand, so I passed. It was a good deal too. Now I am considering my options.

Do I find a used RF unit from ebay. Not too cheap. $150ish.

As I am not going to be getting a new truck anytime soon I would like to modern it up a little. I really like my wife bluetooth. A back up camera would be nice. A front facing camera would be super useful at times too. DVD, GPS Nav... What about steering wheel controls.

So what do I do. My buddy install a $100 double din China unit in his bemmer several years ago and he loved it.

I do not spend much time in the A/V section of this thread. I am not an audiophile, but can not live without music or radio.

Educate/help me.
Just off the top of my head Kenwood has a few double-DIN head units with DVD, dual camera, bluetooth for around $350 or so (maybe less if you shop around), if you want built-in Nav (or something that is Carplay/Android compatible) you're looking at the $500-up range.

As far as steering-wheel controls go, as long as the head unit is capable, it can easily be done with our trucks with an adaptor.

Personally I'd stick with name brands from a reliable seller, I wouldn't touch the off-brand China stuff, they tend to work great at the start but then crap out.

Example: Kenwood DDX574BH... goes for about $330 on Crutchfield, but I just checked for fun and it's going for about $240 on eBay. Bluetooth, touchscreen, dual cameras, satt ready, steering wheel control capable, just no nav though at that price range.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Raine. Stuff so fancy these days. I don't really need NAV, but since I was trying to add on bells and whistles, I was adding on all the bells and whistles.

I got some time to work this out. Interesting about the front and rear camera. I thought that was something I was going to have to hack.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Thanks Raine. Stuff so fancy these days. I don't really need NAV, but since I was trying to add on bells and whistles, I was adding on all the bells and whistles.

I got some time to work this out. Interesting about the front and rear camera. I thought that was something I was going to have to hack.
Feel free to ask away, brother. I enjoy car audio convos.

But yeah - no hacks needed, the dual camera option has been more widspread these days with aftermarket HUs. It used to be reserved for the high-end units. The only thing you would have to "hack" is by using an adaptor to use your factory back-up camera (if you have it)... otherwise it's a standard "run a power and video cable" job.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info Raine. I like that Kenwood unit and it is so affordable. When I first started looking at these Andriod double DINS they started in the $500 range. That was what made the China unit so appealing. But at $240... All the adopters and such will run an additional $100.

One a side note, my stereo came back to life. No more spitting out CD on a whim, and no more issues with the volume. Still I am planning on doing something with the stereo this summer. I plan to take the truck down and do some full upgrades/maintenance items. I have some spare vehicles I can drive in the summer and will address this all then. Probably have a TON of questions then. For now I have a solid idea of what I will be doing with the stereo.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Thanks for all the info Raine. I like that Kenwood unit and it is so affordable. When I first started looking at these Andriod double DINS they started in the $500 range. That was what made the China unit so appealing. But at $240... All the adopters and such will run an additional $100.

One a side note, my stereo came back to life. No more spitting out CD on a whim, and no more issues with the volume. Still I am planning on doing something with the stereo this summer. I plan to take the truck down and do some full upgrades/maintenance items. I have some spare vehicles I can drive in the summer and will address this all then. Probably have a TON of questions then. For now I have a solid idea of what I will be doing with the stereo.
You know where to find me lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts