Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I have an 06 manual KC. I have had the truck for a few weeks now. The truck looked good and I was happy with the performance. However, I knew I would want to add some aftermarket mods. I know there are both positive and negative reviews about this product, but the first thing that came in was an Airade TBS. To me, when I think of the design and function of this piece, it makes sense to think that you could pick up a small increase in performance, but nothing huge. Installation was pretty easy. The truck pulled smooth under acceleration and there was maybe a slight gain in power, nothing major. Also, at first I could not hear the “whistle” at all. After a day or two I could hear it every once in a while, but not much. Overall this product is ok since it did not cost too much.

A few days later I received my Volant CAI. Out of all of the CAI’s, I was set on this one just bc of the fact that it has the ram air scoop on it. I really like the idea of getting fresh cool air into the intake. Installation was ok. It took a little under two hours. It could have been done a lot faster if it would have included instructions. The first thing that I noticed was how much more magnified the “whistle” was. I can’t tell if this is the TBS or the intake, but I think it is the TBS. It is pretty much noticeable at all times now. It sounds pretty cool too, kinda like a turbo. It also makes the engine growl a little more and sound a little deeper. I don’t think I lost any performance at all, but I will say that I was a little disappointed. After the install the installation the acceleration was not smooth. Down low up to about 3K felt about the same, no loss in low end power. The weird part is, from about 3K-4K rpm there was like a dead spot where it did not pull as hard. I did not understand that one. Once it got to about 4K, I could tell that it pulled quite a bit harder than stock. I don’t understand why it would not accelerate smoothly.

The next thing that came in was the Magnaflow replacement Y pipe. I had this installed along with a Dynomax super turbo muffler. I heard a few clips on hear and liked the Dynomax the best, but I think it was the ultra flow. I did not realize that I had picked up the super turbo instead. I have not made my mind up on this exhaust yet. Not quite the sound I was hoping for. It is not raspy at all, but not deep at all either. It does sound pretty good at WOT. All I had the shop do was cut out the stock y and stock muffler. I kept all of the stock piping. Once I did this, I was really liking the performance on the truck. This fixed the acceleration smoothness issues that I got from the CAI. It seems like performance is better across the board. I will try to post some sound clips soon. Also, my manual shifts quite a bit smoother now as well. I guess this is because there is less back pressure.

The next thing that came in was the Superchips cortex programmer. I installed the 87 tune. So far I am not too happy. It seems like I have lost a little bit of power and now the acceleration is not smooth again. I will leave it for a few hundred miles and see if anything changes. If not I will try one of the other tunes.

Anyone else have this issue with their acceleration?

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
6 speed manual, 2006 here too.
I run the SuperChips 91 octane tune, best one for my truck imo.
I'd give that a try next fill up, you should be impressed.

I have everything you have except the TBS and I don't notice any hesitation.

I think it was bigriver (member here) that took his TBS off after getting the Cortex and said it made a positive difference in his truck's performance.

The jury is still out on TBS's in my book.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we went on a trip to the frio river this weekend. A good 500-600 mile trip. I started with the 87 tune and was not happy with the performance at all. It was much slower and less responsive than before any mods. We needed to fill up, so i put 93 in the tank and reprogrmed to the performace setting while i waited. As we left the gas station i got on it, and just lit the tires up. I was very surprised, the truck went from one extreme to the other. Now i am very happy with the performace tune. Also i was getting a little over 19 mpg. I was going about 85 most of the trip. Also, for all you that were asking, i dropped about a grand on these mods. Not too bad i guess.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
yes, i removed the tsb and it helped. here's some other ideas if you haven't already done them

volant - remove the plastic shard behind the front grill that blocks airflow directly to the ram air scoop.

cortex - did you disable the wot restriction? i use the 87 octane tune and it performs just fine.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
yes, i removed the tsb and it helped. here's some other ideas if you haven't already done them

volant - remove the plastic shard behind the front grill that blocks airflow directly to the ram air scoop.

cortex - did you disable the wot restriction? i use the 87 octane tune and it performs just fine.
I removed mine when I first intalled the Volant, and could actually feel a difference, for the worse though. I have since sold the Volant and went back to the Nismo intake and the TBS is back on. Not that I think it adds power, but smooths the powerband out a little. I also average about .7 mpg better with it on. This isnt the Airaid one though. It's the now defunkt WRP TBS. I also have the Airaid one. I did like the sound of it, but it dropped my MPG by almost 1.2mpg. Too much to be worth anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yeah i did remove the plastic piece behind the fron grill. I know there were not instructions provided with it, but to be honest i would think you would have to do that for the volant CAI, if you want to see any benefit from the ram air scoop. As far as the programmer, i will have to see if WOT restriction is diabled. All i did was the performance quick tune. So i am not sure if it is on or off. And i cannot figure out what is up with this TBS. One day i can hear the thing whistling pretty loud, and the next i dont hear it at all. I dont understand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts