Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all 6spd owners. Anyone notice that reverse is a little on the high side?
Reverse is traditionally the lowest gear in a manual but 1st is a tad lower in our Frontiers. I find when backing up an incline with a trailer, I need to slip the clutch too much for my liking!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not unusual

I've wished Reverse were lower in every truck I've owned. The only one I really liked was in someone's old Toyota diesel pickup w/stick shift.

Our 6-spd Frontiers have a very nice low 1st gear. Too bad they didn't do the same for Reverse.

When I use a boat ramp, I put the transmission in Neutral and let it slowly roll back down (lots of braking). At home when backing down the extremely steep, narrow unpaved top of our driveway that bends 90 degrees next to a big tree, I put it in 4-Low Reverse.

Unfortunately, if you are having problems with backing UP a hill, the first action is not an option.

I wish we could use Low range in 2WD mode.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I'll agree with this assessment.
My driveway is on an incline and occasionally I need to back the truck up and into the garage.
So I have encountered the need to feather the clutch or go like hell in reverse up a hill.
Minor complaint as far as I'm concerned, but a valid one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just found the same thing this weekend. I had to back my snowmobile trailer (clam-shell) about a 1/4 miles up a hill to the back yard. I wonder if I have any friction material left on my clutch!! I had to ride the clutch the entire time. If I let it all the way out it was way to fast to direct the trailer up the skinny path or I would stall because I wasn't on the gas enough.

·
Super Moderator
12,392 Posts
Anyone consider a front receiver hitch and go up the hill in first? I saw a Pathfinder recently with one so they are out there. You can also maneuver it better that way.

Clint

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Even the automatics have a tall reverse gear. I've had several people rag me on this as I back a trailer up a hill. The truck does it fine, but it sounds like its working way too hard to do so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.