Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2022 Frontier S 4x4 Crew
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update - Response from Retrax re: my inquiry: "This has been identified as a design and production flaw, while this gets worked out by our engineering and production team, we can offer some additional foam, to insert into those gaps to fix this issue... We will have more information as our team looks into this issue."

I plan
to check with them periodically and will update here. Paid too much for this cover to have a design flaw go unremedied. I suggest everyone else who has purchased a an XR to reach out to them.
I'm going to contact RealTruck and probably Retrax directly about this, but I wanted to ask this forum, too. For anyone who has seen the Retrax cover installed, does the weather seal at the front of the bed run fully side to side? There are gaps on either end of my install. Photo of one side provided below. Thanks.
Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Attachments

· Registered
2022 Frontier S 4x4 Crew
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I ordered mine directly from Retrax and I have that same gap on mine.
I'm realizing that it's not actually wide enough. I think the system is supposed to be flush on the sides... The if the sides sit perfectly on the rail, that gap would perfectly be filled.

I've seen some installs on Fords where the Retrax sides sit perfectly atop the bed rails... Buybinalso see a lot of stock images of Retrax where they are offset... Not sure if the weather stripping fits better or have the gaps, too

Attachments

· Registered
2 Posts
I have the Retraxone MX and noticed the same thing. I had it installed for me a week ago and wondered if they had trimmed it too short but saw your posts and it looks like its coming from the factory like this.
Hood Grille Grey Automotive design Carbon

I bought some weather stripping to try and seal it off for now. It works ok. I took it through a touchless car wash today. I have a carpeted mat in the bed and it was slightly damp in the corners near this point on each side, but also at the corners by the tailgate. I'm going to send a message to retrax as well and see what they say.
Automotive tire Hood Grey Automotive design Carbon

· Registered
2022 Frontier S 4x4 Crew
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for confirming! I emailed both realtruck and Retrax to see what they say

I have the Retraxone MX and noticed the same thing. I had it installed for me a week ago and wondered if they had trimmed it too short but saw your posts and it looks like its coming from the factory like this.
View attachment 352216

I bought some weather stripping to try and seal it off for now. It works ok. I took it through a touchless car wash today. I have a carpeted mat in the bed and it was slightly damp in the corners near this point on each side, but also at the corners by the tailgate. I'm going to send a message to retrax as well and see what they say.
View attachment 352217

· Registered
2022 Frontier S 4x4 Crew
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 352216

View attachment 352217
Please see the first post. I've provided an update from Retrax.

· Registered
17 Posts
I just installed a powertraxone XR, and the gap is there as well. in my opinion, it's pretty small gap and a tight fit with the drop in bed liner but I certainly see how water could intrude. Thanks for the update from Retrax @michaeltfarm I will probably mention it to them and point them at this thread too.

Personally, I plan on running a bead of liquid silicone RTV there and see how that works.

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to contact RealTruck and probably Retrax directly about this, but I wanted to ask this forum, too. For anyone who has seen the Retrax cover installed, does the weather seal at the front of the bed run fully side to side? There are gaps on either end of my install. Photo of one side provided below. Thanks.
I have the same issue on mine. I contacted Retrax and they sent a replacement front cover plate. Needless to say, the replacement has the same design flaw. I'm glad they have acknowledged it. I've reached back out to them and will be following this thread.

· Registered
2022 Frontier S 4x4 Crew
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just installed a powertraxone XR, and the gap is there as well. in my opinion, it's pretty small gap and a tight fit with the drop in bed liner but I certainly see how water could intrude.
Can you share a photo? My gap is pretty significant... It's the size of two finger widths.

I have the same issue on mine. I contacted Retrax and they sent a replacement front cover plate. Needless to say, the replacement has the same design flaw. I'm glad they have acknowledged it. I've reached back out to them and will be following this thread.
How long ago did you contact them? They were pretty quick to tell me that it's a design flaw. All they need to do is extend the rubber weather stripping a bit further, IMO

· Registered
2 Posts
How long ago did you contact them? They were pretty quick to tell me that it's a design flaw. All they need to do is extend the rubber weather stripping a bit further, IMO
I initially contacted them about 6-8 weeks ago. After they sent me a new front cover plate I told them that one didn't fit either. They then had me measure it and then told me it was correct to spec. After I kept telling them it wasn't right they finally told me today that they're working on a redesign. They said they're sending foam to seal the bulkhead for now and will send a redesigned cover plate in a few months.

· Registered
2022 Frontier S 4x4 Crew
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They said they're sending foam to seal the bulkhead for now and will send a redesigned cover plate in a few months.
Thanks. That's more info than I had. They didn't tell me they'd send out a redesigned cover plate. Let me know if you figure out a good way to use the foam. They sent me two strips and I think it's pretty useless.

· Registered
65 Posts
I covered the two gaps in the front weatherstrip on the left and right sides near the cab with a piece of 3m double sided tape applied to the vertical surface of the retrax rail and a small piece of rubber. It’s basically a little flap that overlaps the weather stripping and covers the big gap. It works perfectly; zero leaks at the front corners. Obviously this only works on the xr, but I bet it’s possible to do something similar on the mx with different placement.

Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design Personal luxury car Motor vehicle

· Registered
2022 Frontier S 4x4 Crew
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I covered the two gaps in the front weatherstrip on the left and right sides near the cab with a piece of 3m double sided tape applied to the vertical surface of the retrax rail and a small piece of rubber. It’s basically a little flap that overlaps the weather stripping and covers the big gap. It works perfectly; zero leaks at the front corners. Obviously this only works on the xr, but I bet it’s possible to do something similar on the mx with different placement.

View attachment 358851
Where did you get the rubber?

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Just an FYI...
I personally do not have this cover (I have a Diamond Back), but noticed that I would get a bit of water in the exact same areas as you guys are are getting. After further examination of the actual bed at the top, I noticed there are small gaps/holes from where the sheet metal of the bed is not welded. I used a bit of RTX and plugged up the holes, and had no more issues with water coming in that area. Again, check the actual bed sheet metal in those corners. ;)

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm going to contact RealTruck and probably Retrax directly about this, but I wanted to ask this forum, too. For anyone who has seen the Retrax cover installed, does the weather seal at the front of the bed run fully side to side? There are gaps on either end of my install. Photo of one side provided below. Thanks. View attachment 352041
SO it looks like I'm not the only one having difficulties with ReTrax! They sent me the wrong mounting hardware and I need to get the correct kit. I have a SV Crew cab Longed with Utilitrack How is your cover mounted? Could you provide a picture of the clamps that were used? Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts