Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help with my build.

2008 Frontier V6 2wd ext cab auto.

Retired my truck, didn't want to sell it, she has 225k miles, new tranny, worth more to me to keep it and make it a toy.

I'd like to turn it into a "fast" driving off road vehicle, I would say trophy truck as a reference but obviously a fraction of the build. Looking to be on dirt for the most part.

Budget 10k, not including roll cage/safety equipment.

What route should I take? What type of suspension would you recommend? Titan swap then build?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing suggestions. Picture for attention, not my truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think Whistler could be a big help....Wow that is a great looking truck already!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Need to know exactly what you are trying to accomplish.
Sounds like what you want will take more than a Titan swap.
Will you be able to do the fabrication and have access to the equipment needed?
If not, your 10k budget will not be sufficient.
If you can settle for less, you can a have a decent suspension package within your budget.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need to know exactly what you are trying to accomplish.
Sounds like what you want will take more than a Titan swap.
Will you be able to do the fabrication and have access to the equipment needed?
If not, your 10k budget will not be sufficient.
If you can settle for less, you can a have a decent suspension package within your budget.

I have a local shop I work with that can fab for very reasonable if necessary.

essentially a toned down stadium super truck, I want to be able to go around dirt tracks, maybe get 2-3ft of air on jumps max.

I just don't want a shopping mall truck, I want to be able to abuse it, I have no purpose of driving on the street, I plan on stripping the interior, gutting everything, and trailering it around.

If I can get a solid foundation for my budget, and grow into the sport more I can spend more later. I just need to be reasonable I have like 30k into my s2000 track car.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
You would be better off waiting until you have the funds to do it right the first time. If you don't you will be wasting money replacing parts.
Toned down stadium truck? Trophy Truck as a reference?
Sorry, your expectations with your budget won't come close. 10k won't even pay for your shocks.
These are my friend's vehicles. The photo of the shocks and bumps are going on my friend's Titan. 35k worth!
I know these are extreme but you can see what it takes.
My truck may seem like it has great suspension. Truth it is severely limited for desert racing
Like I mentioned, you can have a decent operating suspension within your budget. Just don't expect some miraculous improvement.
I would inquire the cost of fabbing a set of shock hoops, hoop brace, and a shock bed cage from your fab shop.
That in my opinion is a must.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
This is what I would do with 10k.
Fox 2.5 piggy back , 3 tube shocks($1690).
Fox 2.5 reservoir,3 tube shocks($1700).
Fox 2.5 coilovers shocks($1240).
PRG/Deaver leaf pack ($750).
PRG shackles($130).
Coilover springs($250).
BTF 2wd long travel race kit($3500). Have them (Brandon) omit the lower control arm shock mounts.It would be easier for them( your fabricator)to determine location after building the hoops.
Daniel Grooters , "Xterra Performance"is having BTF building something similar.
By going to the bypass shocks you can omit hydraulic bump stops till a later date.
That would leave about a grand for the hoops and bed cage.
Forgot about shipping cost and tax if applicable.
You said grow into the sport. Do you plan on racing?
With this set-up , you will not have to replace parts with maybe the exception of the leaf pack.If you decide to cage,fuel cell and two spare tires , this will add quite a bit of weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts