Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the resonators on some exhaust tips really help the drone?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I put a dual in dual out Pro Flo on my truck right after I bought it and thought they were a little too raspy sounding. The muffler shop gave me a pair of 12" pre-resonators to put upstream of the muffler. It definitely made it a much more mellow sound. I would do the same thing again even if I had to pay for the pre-resonators.

OkieScot

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
The resonator is to cancell out some of the noise and deepen it. The shape of the tip determines what it will do with the sound, rolled tips tend to whiffle the sound, beveled tips tend to direct it to a particular direction. I run a 45 deg bevel pointing down and out the back, its what gives me a deep, and I quote "beast" tone.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The resonator is to cancell out some of the noise and deepen it. The shape of the tip determines what it will do with the sound, rolled tips tend to whiffle the sound, beveled tips tend to direct it to a particular direction. I run a 45 deg bevel pointing down and out the back, its what gives me a deep, and I quote "beast" tone.
so you would recomend a beveled tip rather than a rolled one?

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Depending on the style you are going to do, and your personal tastes. think of it this way, a rolled tip will give more of a pop because you are compressing the outflow at the last moment, think a vw bug exhaust. With a angled and beveled tip, you are letting it freeflow, and changing the direction of the outlet flow at the last minute. Another example of this would be a water sprayer and water hose. The more you compress it at the end, the more the spray pattern is altered. With the nozzle off and just the hose you get a low pressure flow with high volume, however, by placing your finger across the opening, you increase the pressure and lessen the volume and get a large spray. The spray is equal to the ricer sound you will get from compressing your exhaust.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depending on the style you are going to do, and your personal tastes. think of it this way, a rolled tip will give more of a pop because you are compressing the outflow at the last moment, think a vw bug exhaust. With a angled and beveled tip, you are letting it freeflow, and changing the direction of the outlet flow at the last minute. Another example of this would be a water sprayer and water hose. The more you compress it at the end, the more the spray pattern is altered. With the nozzle off and just the hose you get a low pressure flow with high volume, however, by placing your finger across the opening, you increase the pressure and lessen the volume and get a large spray. The spray is equal to the ricer sound you will get from compressing your exhaust.
well i would just like a nice rumble and a good sound when you get on it. thats all im lookin for, the magnflow with the rolled tip has a nice hum, but im lookin for sorta a rumble like yours

1 - 8 of 8 Posts