Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "borrowed" this idea from the CLUB TITAN forum. prior to doing this my truck seemed to be slower than when i got all the mods. butt dyno this and butt dyno that. yada yada yada! just trying to recoup any lost HP with this procedure.

check this out and the timing is the fun part:

www.clubtitan.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3699

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I tried this before to my 350z and it seemed to drive the same, and on the dyno did not show any gains, I actually felt gains when i disconnected the negative termina lfor 30 minutes, maybe I did it wrong!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i'm probably a sucker for trying. figured didn't need to plug in $ so it was worth a try. waste of time? perhaps.
I have a lot of spare time while I am fishing, so i just tried it. my exhaust and intake tone appeared louder (my nieghbors were commenting) and my low end power appeared to be a lil punchier....all butt dyno again. to me the truck feels better than before :D.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry gfronty, i re-read my previous post, i didn't mean for it to sound negative or anything. was just trying to convey that it's probably all psychological to me and that i am a self proclaimed sucker for those procedures :lol:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I tried it yesterday, it appeared to work, or at least the SES blinked like it said. Oddly, my exhaust sounded quieter right after I did it and took a drive, but then the next time I started the truck it seemed to be the same. My gas mileage also went to crap, but that might have nothing to do with the ECU reset, I had just filled up on Friday and had noticed it was already starting to slide. Maybe some cheap gas, and I'm sure driving in the snow doesn't help either, truck doesn't roll quite as easy in the snow. I also noticed the slip light coming on a lot more, and it's pretty quick about retarding the engine!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I did it today and it seemed work, beast you were right! I did it wrong, the note where it said do it 10 times not 7 well that where I had went wrong. Im with yo 05_NISMO_4X4 with the driving in the snow,my gas mileage was bad.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feel for you guys (sorry no snow here in Hawaii). unfortunately i wasn't able to see snow inmy entire life...maybe i got to get off this rock and take a little winter vacation. I probably wouldn't know how to act in snow. one day when the children get older.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well I did the ECU procedure yesterday. Everything worked as it should. the SES light blinked and then stopped. I didn't really notice a difference though. Gas mileage may have gotten abit better but not too sure.

P.S> What are you guys getting for mileage? I think mine is averaging approx 14l/100km mostly in city driving.

Compare the mileages!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when exercising restraint (with intermittent lead foot syndrome), i can get 20/25 mpg (with no a/c), but most of the time i get 17/20 mpg. not the best, but my old chevy blazer was much less "effecient".

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tnx gfronty! now this i would wait for others to post their impressions on. i would buy it, but kind of scared of messing with the ecu that way. plus i'm broke right now with all the shopping mrs. beast is doing.
if anyone has this product let us know. if it delivers like it stated, than there might me a late Christmas present for me (from Santa of course).

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I read up on that JET ECU upgrade as well, my only real concern is the fact youhave to send in the ECU to have the program flased to the ECU. What happens if you have a SES light come on a month or two after your $400.00 upgrade, and the service department reflashes your ECU due to some tweak or upgrade from Nissan? I'm sure JET would cover it, but then there you are without your truck as you send the ECU back in to have it reprogramed!

Another concern is Nissan voiding your warranty. I know what the Maggnusen-Moss act says, but I've heard too many horror stories from when I had my Ford. I had a Super Chip in my F-150, but it was removable and all I had to do was remove it and reset the ECU and Ford never knew the ECU had been altered. After I got it back from the dealership, I'd just re-install it. The new programmers are even better, it takes less than 5 minutes to install a custome tune, and another 5 minutes to have it back to stock, and because it installes the program through the connector used by the dealership, there are no tell tale signs of a chip install on the ECU!

So, if one of the major performance programers could come up with a power programmer for the Fronty, I'd be real interested, until then, I'm sticking to stock (at least while the warranty is in effect)!

·
Registered
125 Posts
did the ecu flash with the gas pedal and 10 second deal i used to spank a 2006 toyota tundra with the 4.7 iforce v8 by three cars after i did that he smokes me now dont know what it did but it screwed me i also used to beat a dodge ram rummble bee hemi single cab not now am very pissed off becaue i dont know what happened to the performance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts