Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with my TPMS warning light for over a year now, having to get it reset (either by the dealer or a tire shop) a number of times. I have searched the forums over and over again, but never found a solution other than blacking the light out with tape, or continuing to have someone reset it for me. Eventually, I said [email protected]#$ it and just ignored the dam light.

In my case, when I started my truck, it would flash for 1 min, then stay on (solid) for as long as the vehicle was running. From what I read in the manual, this could mean that there was a malfunction with the system. Me being the type that checks my tire pressure regularly, not relying on the light, I wasn't about to throw money at that problem.

This morning I decided to do some more digging around and came across this post on an Infinity forum:
Reset TPMS Warning By Yourself For FREE!!! - MyG37
It says that it's supposed to work on all Infinitys with TPMS, as well as all Nissans. Well, I tried it out and to my surprise, IT WORKED!

I have modified the instructions to suite my '06 Frontier KC SE. Hope you find it helpful.

Step 1: Set the tires to the following pressures, they have to be exact:

Tire position Tire pressure kPa (kg/cm2, psi)
Front LH 240 (2.4, 34)
Front RH 220 (2.2, 31)
Rear RH 200 (2.0, 29)
Rear LH 180 (1.8, 26)

Step 2: Locate the TPMS interface plug. This is a white female plug that is attached to the OBD wire harness under the dash right about where your right knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. It's got 1 white wire attached to it.

Step 3: Attach a paper clip or wire into the interface plug. I used a 5 inch copper wire, spliced on both ends, and inserted it into the connector on the same side as the existing white wire.

Step 4: Put your key in the ignition and turn it to the last click before the engine starts. This is the KOEO position (Key On, Engine Off).

Step 5: Tap the end of the paper clip (the end NOT in the interface plug, duh!) on any exposed ground (metal) 6 times. The grounded metal in my case was the steering column.

Note: You need to do this within 10 seconds of the key being in the ON position.

Step 6: If you completed step 5 then the TPMS warning light will start to slowly flash and you have activated the TPMS relearn process. If it flashes fast that's not right. If yours isn't flashing slowly then check your connections, turn the ignition off and start over at step 4.

Note: if you're having trouble getting it into the relearn mode, try grounding the connector, turn the car on, then turn the car off while still grounding it. Then repeat the above steps.

Step 7: Once you confirm the lights do not stop flashing, step on the clutch/brake and start the car. Do not turn the car to OFF position. Start driving >25mph until the light goes out. It could take as long as ten minutes.

Step 8: The light will quickly come back on due to the low tire pressures. Refill your tires to the correct pressure, go for another quick spin, and the light will go off!

I followed these instructions and it worked for me on the first try! The longest part of the whole procedure was farting around with my crappy pump, but the main thing is that it worked!!! Now, let's see how long it lasts.

I'll have to send a thank you note to the original poster on the Infinity forum! Feel free to do the same if it work for you.
---------------

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I missed that one! :comphead: Oh well, now the info can be found in even more locations. I'm just glad I can reset it on my own.

Do you happen to know what the average battery life is with the sensors, everything else being well?

·
Registered
424 Posts
During your step 8, I assume you must leave ignition ON or engine running while you refill to proper psi?

(in other word, never turning OFF during whole test)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
During your step 8, I assume you must leave ignition ON or engine running while you refill to proper psi?

(in other word, never turning OFF during whole test)
No, that's not required. You just can't turn it off while in learning mode (TPMS light flashing continuously). After driving with the tires inflated to different pressures and the light constantly flashing, it goes out after a few miles, indicating that the system knows the location of the individual sensors and communication with them is ok. Then the light will come back on solid within a few seconds, indicating that the system has detected incorrect pressure(s). After that you can shut off the engine if you want, set back the correct pressure in each tire (I set mine to 36psi), then start the engine and go for a drive. When you start back the engine the light should immediately go solid. All being well with the tire pressure, it should go off quickly - in my case, half way around my block.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is good to know.. I am sure I will have to deal with this issue...I can't believe I have not had a battery go bad yet on my 2006 Frontier... They didn't last no time on the Chrysler Town & Country. Those sensors aint cheap niether by the time you get it installed just for the battery to last only 2-3 years....
Yeah! good luck at them lasting 10 years. If the Nissan TPMS gives me too much trouble then black tape it is...

·
Rogue Admin
13,107 Posts
I used a thread from thenewX and there were some updated pressures listed on page 7. I ended up having to use those pressures to make this reset work:

How-to: Reset TPMS with a Paper Clip - Page 7 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Another thing I noticed while skimming the WT section is the pressures are slightly different than what crazypanda listed, the order is the same but the pressures are (Kg/cm2)-PSI: (2.5)-36, (2.3)-33, (2.1)-30, (1.9)-27
I'm wondering if that variance coupled with not-so-accurate tire gauges may affect the odd person's failure with this procedure.

I've noticed a few different numbers being thrown around as to what pressure will trip the TPMS dash light. FSM says 28PSI or less and nothing about overinflation.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Nice write up. Now if only there was a way to turn them off completely...
I missed that one! :comphead: Oh well, now the info can be found in even more locations. I'm just glad I can reset it on my own.

Do you happen to know what the average battery life is with the sensors, everything else being well?
I work at a tire shop that sells TPMS sensors and ours are said to have a shelf-life of 7 years.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts