Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for options to replace/rebuild my KA42DE in my 98 Frontier 4x4. I'm not against rebuilding my own engine, but I have limited spare time and it would likely take me months, and the truck can't be down for that long.

My question is about Nissan engine rebuilding companies. For american vehicles, it is common to find "crate" motors that are build to a performance spec, and built well if acquired from a good source. I wanted to know if anyone knew of any companies in the US that sell well-built or rebuilt engines for these trucks.

My current options are to buy a used engine and rebuild it, buy a used engine, install it, then rebuild my original (that currently burns a quart of oil every 100 miles), or to just buy a low mileage or rebuilt motor and install it and be done. I prefer the third option, but I would want to know that I was getting a quality engine, as having my girlfriend stranded in the middle of backwoods Florida would not lead to a good day for me.

Any help or advice is appreciated, as I do not know what companies to look toward for quality Nissan parts.

Also, does anyone know exactly which engines will fit in this truck and from what years? I grew up in the Honda world, where most things are plug n play, but I'm realizing that the situation may be different with this truck considering that there are apparently several different KA24DEs out there.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
1998-2004 Frontier and 2000-2004 Xterra.

They were a pretty solid engine and should be a bunch of them out there. I would just try to find a reasonably low mileage, used engine with a warranty of at least 30-days, install it and be done with it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
For a ka24, you should probably look into nissan 240sx forums(nicoclub.com, zilvia.net, 240sxforums.com, etc). There are a lot of people doing a lot of work on their KA motors. Everything from basic work to full rebuilds to ka-t builds. You may have better luck there than you will here.

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
I'm sure you can find new short blocks or complete engines out there.

Clint

1 - 4 of 4 Posts