Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

Looks like my pinion seal and drivers side axle seal is bad on my frontier. I've got the 06 Crew Cab 6-speed, so it's the Dana M226 rear axle.

I'm sure the axle seals are easy to replace just like the nissan H233b ones, but has anyone done the pinion seal? Is it the same as my Front Waggy Dana 44 seal on my SAS'd pathfinder?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I believe their is a simple write-up on clubtitan.org. I will see if I can find the link for you.

In the mean time I do remember them saying that it was pretty simple.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
mine is leaking on my 226 as well. dealership quoted me just over $200 to R&R. 2 hrs labor and the part was ~$25

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I just did some searching on CT and was unable to find the thread. You may want to put up a post asking for someone to direct you towards it.

I think the hardest part is that you have to preload the system some so idk if you are comfortable with that or not.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine is leaking on my 226 as well. dealership quoted me just over $200 to R&R. 2 hrs labor and the part was ~$25
No kiddin... my dealer quoted me $95 for the pinion seal, and $300 total to do the job. Online - it seems I can get the pinion seal for $45.

Thanks for the info guys. Bearing pre-load won't be to big a deal. It's all whether or not I've got time to do this...

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
that's what i'm looking at too, plus i'm in an apartment so not nearly as easy to do, my tools aren't here either. it's probably safer and in the long run cheaper (if i screw something up) to pay someone else to do it

·
Registered
874 Posts
that's what i'm looking at too, plus i'm in an apartment so not nearly as easy to do, my tools aren't here either. it's probably safer and in the long run cheaper (if i screw something up) to pay someone else to do it
For the price you were quoted I would just go that route, the only hassle there is making the appointment and getting the truck there.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I never heard back from you in your other thread, but if you still have your 3" body lift, and still want to sell it, it will cover some of the cost of having your truck repaired. Point is I'll buy it from you.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
For the price you were quoted I would just go that route, the only hassle there is making the appointment and getting the truck there.
that's what i was thinking too. the dealership here in anderson seems to be very reasonable and do a decent job so i might give this a "test drive" and see how it goes. i can handle getting it there and someone to give me a ride back. just gotta have the money to do it. it's not a huge issue, just more of annoyance knowing that it's there and leaking slightly. i plan to get the diff fluid changed at the same time, may go ahead and do the trans fluid while i'm at it, i noticed this past winter that it felt really stiff and didn't want to go into gear quite as easily when it was really cold compared to when it was newer, probably the fluid getting old (almost 80k on my 06 now :crikey: )

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!

As to the body lift question - sorry it sold a while back.

I actually just ordered a chilton's for the Frontier - so I'm thinking I may try to replace the seals myself. (I'm actually doing a DANA 44 SAS on my 95 Pathfinder right now - so I'll do all the seals at once.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts