Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Was just wondering if anyone had replaced their motor mounts including the tranny one. How difficult was it and how long did it take? Thanks ...
KA or VG? 2WD or 4WD?

I have a KA 2wd, took under 2 hrs due to easier access and no front diff. I'd expect VG 4wd to run up to twice that due to access constraints above and below. On my Pathfinder (has VQ35 engine and 4wd, but earlier years had the same VG33 with same mount and location, which is also practically identical to the Frontier), the front diff all but blocks access to the lower hardware on the driver's side. It also helps to have the engine supported from above, due to limited jack placement options underneath, unless you're daring enough to support under the oil pan (not recommended).

Trans mount is pretty easy for all applications. Just need to support the transmission/t-case, unbolt the crossmember and mount, swap mount. 30-minute job as long as the hardware doesn't put up a fight and the mount actually aligns correctly (pretty sure I had to modify a new mount slightly last time).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry, should have provided more specifics. The truck is a 2004 1st gen Frontier, 2WD, manual transmission, with the KA24DE engine.

Thanks ...
All good. Yeah, should be pretty straight forward then. I have the same setup as yours, except 98. Start with the motor mounts, since you'll need to lift the motor a little and the trans mount will already be worn enough to allow for flex without having to undo anything there. The driver's side is a no brainer (easy access), but just loosen all the hardware first, then move passenger side and loosen everything there. There's a bunch of stuff engine-side under the air filter housing, but I believe everything was accessible from underneath. Once the hardware on the motor mounts are loose, you can use a jack under the bellhousing to lift the engine maybe an inch or two; just lift the bare minimum you need. Swap the mounts, get them all tightened to spec. After the fronts are done, then do the trans mount as described earlier.

I think I last did this in 2019. For 3 mounts, 6 mount pieces came out. It was long overdue.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Sorry, should have provided more specifics. The truck is a 2004 1st gen Frontier, 2WD, manual transmission, with the KA24DE engine.
I have the same truck but still has the factory mounts (106K miles)

But I also have the same truck but it's a 1998, and have done the motor mounts on it (mine were broken in two). Wasn't too tough, but - in hindsight - wish I had installed a nut and then sawed the studs on the new mounts about 1/4 inch shorter, then removed the nuts to straighten any threads I buggered, then would install.

Use a block of wood under the engine for the jack to rest on, you'll need to raise the engine a little; make sure when you do this that any wires which will be pulled too far are labeled and disconnected. There are different mounts on these for the left side and the right side; do one side at a time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts