Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys well for awhile my belts on my engine have squeaked and chripped. Recently, as the temperature here in s. florida dropped into the low 40's(i know that may be a hot flash for some) the belt squeaks constantly. Its not real loud but loud enough to hear with windows up. I have tried belt dressing, wd40, as well as a bar of soap... all to no avail. So now I face the impending question of how to replace the belt. Do I take it to the local oil place and have them do it? How would you approach this?

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Super Moderator
11,248 Posts
It might be the idler pulley as well as needing a belt. It's very easy to replace. Look at the idler (tension) pulley and there is a square hole. You put a socket wrench or breaker bar in there and pull to take the stress off the belt. Remove the belt, put the new one back as the old one came out and around the idler and apply pressure to get the belt back around then remove the bar, start the truck to have peace and quiet once again. If you still have noise you'll then need to buy a new pulley.

Clint

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, one more ignorant question, but which one is the idler pulley? Or ill just look for the one with a square hole... also where do i get the new belt from?

Thanks clint

·
Super Moderator
11,248 Posts
Idler pulley is in the middle near the fan. There has to be a belt routing diagram in here somwhere. I'll see if I can locate it.
The belt can be bought I'm sure at any autozone,napa,pep boys etc. or a Nissan dealer. The idler should be a warranty item depending on your trucks age or mileage. The aren't too expensive if needed.

Clint

·
Registered
832 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing... chirpety chirp chirrrrpp... when it was idling... Didn't chirp till after a warm up.

Anyways, I ordered myself a new belt. Went outside, stuck the ratchet in the idler pulley and rotated it to release tension on the belt... SQUEEEEEEAAKKKKKK!! I proceed to take the belt off, examined the belt thoroughly, looks PERFECT. Moved the idler pulley back and forth and just listened to it SQUEEAAKK... obviously I found my maker of the chirping sound. It is the spring inside of the pulley that is super cheap-a** built and makes a lot of noise... I got myself some lithium grease spray and shot as much of it into the spring-holder of the idler pulley WHILE rotating the pulley back and forth with the ratchet...

SILENCE. It moved nice and smoothly with no noise, put my belt back on.

SILENT idle.

4000 miles ago, still good so far

·
Super Moderator
11,248 Posts
It's amazing at how a little movement by the spring can create that much noise. Glad you fixed it for free.

Clint

1 - 8 of 8 Posts