Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2018 V6 SV 4x4. I drive a ton on the highway for work, I’m talking 12,000 miles since I got it in October. I love my truck to death and want to take care of it, so I want to put all new fluids in to it soon. That way I can make a mark of when they were all changed for future maintenance. I’ve been looking at all the Motul products and I was hoping some of you might use them and be able to help me narrow it down. I live in the south, North Carolina, and temps are regularly in the mid-90s in the summer so I need to know what will be best. I also wouldn’t mind someone telling me what oil filter is good. When I say all fluids, I mean like diff, coolant, brake fluids, so any recommendations on them would be great too. I just hit 42,000 miles, and I’m the second owner so I’m not sure what all the first owner did. It’s in great shape, and runs perfect, I just want to ensure it stays that way. I have never had a vehicle that I wanted to treat this well, so I’m not sure of what I’m doing. Thanks so much, I hope anyone can help.

·
Registered
2018 SV Midnight Edition + 2008 Avalon XL
133 Posts
Follow the reccomended specifications in the manual. Don't over think it.

Coolant-Nissan oem or zerex
Front diff-80w-90
Engine-5w-30 synthetic of your choice (mobil 1, pennzoil platinum, valvoline, etc.) -side note mobil 1 in gf-6 flavor handles heat very well

Filter-Nissan oem. $5 online.
Trans-Smatic or valvoline max
Transfer case-dmatic
Rear diff- synthetic 75w-90 (nissan, valvoline, etc.)
P/s-nissan or atf 4 i think
Brakes-dot 3

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I've been using Purolator One (blue can) pl14610 oil filter for past 5 yrs. No startup noise.

For transmission, just do a pan drain and fill each oil change for the next 3 changes, then every other to every 3rd and your atf will always be in good shape. Frequency will be dictated by your usage (tow/haul, stop&go, highway, short trips...) highway is the least demanding on trans, towing is most.
IIRC a stock pan fill is 4qts, get 5 to be safe. Valvoline Maxlife works great. Amazon has a case of 6 for $39 currently

Otherwise, just change fluids and inspect parts as suggested in manual.
There should have been a scheduled maint logbook in the glovebox with the owners manual.

If not, you can download the factory service manual from NicoClub.com Just google nissan frontier factory manual

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no magic fluids out there, just change them on a regular schedule and your truck will live a long life, hopefully.
Yea I’m not looking for the magic fluids, mostly just asking for others experience with products I was looking at. I know synthetics are generally accepted to be better for the engine and other components, but I wanted to hear from real world frontier owners too. I definitely plan on following all maintenance procedures carefully.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been using Purolator One (blue can) pl14610 oil filter for past 5 yrs. No startup noise.

For transmission, just do a pan drain and fill each oil change for the next 3 changes, then every other to every 3rd and your atf will always be in good shape. Frequency will be dictated by your usage (tow/haul, stop&go, highway, short trips...) highway is the least demanding on trans, towing is most.
IIRC a stock pan fill is 4qts, get 5 to be safe. Valvoline Maxlife works great. Amazon has a case of 6 for $39 currently

Otherwise, just change fluids and inspect parts as suggested in manual.
There should have been a scheduled maint logbook in the glovebox with the owners manual.

If not, you can download the factory service manual from NicoClub.com Just google nissan frontier factory manual
Ok cool, thanks for that! I have not seen a maint logbook in there, but I’ll check again. The dealer I bought it from gave it to me with pretty much just the owners manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Follow the reccomended specifications in the manual. Don't over think it.

Coolant-Nissan oem or zerex
Front diff-80w-90
Engine-5w-30 synthetic of your choice (mobil 1, pennzoil platinum, valvoline, etc.) -side note mobil 1 in gf-6 flavor handles heat very well

Filter-Nissan oem. $5 online.
Trans-Smatic or valvoline max
Transfer case-dmatic
Rear diff- synthetic 75w-90 (nissan, valvoline, etc.)
P/s-nissan or atf 4 i think
Brakes-dot 3
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Amsoil, Redline, and Royal Purple have pretty great gear oils. Check them out.

Reactions: Johnsullivan19

·
Registered
462 Posts
That seems awful soon. (Edit: nvm, you have 42k, misread) I’m about to as well with 31k. Both diffs, transfer case & tranny.

is it fine running 75-90 in the front, just to keep the fluids the same?

·
Registered
856 Posts
is it fine running 75-90 in the front, just to keep the fluids the same?
Many members - myself included - run synthetic 75w-90 in the front. Many of your synthetic 75w-90 oils say that they can replace conventional 80w-90 and often have better/broader specs. I have heard of no issues. I couldn’t even find 80w-90 from any decent brands in my local auto store IIRC.

To the OP: Pickup a well reputed brand that is widely available at whatever store you have near you. I use all Valvoline synthetic products other than the anti freeze. For the anti freeze the preferred (other than OEM nissan long life blue) would be Pentafrost A3. I’m sure zerex would be ok, but you can find the Pentafrost A3 lots of places and that is - by all accounts - the same as OEM.

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
One man's opine:
At what cost = peace of mind? For as long as specific lubricant fluids are in the tranny, diffs, transfer case...I see no reason to skimp.

The factory coolant is supposedly good for 130K miles, IIRC. Though, I think I'll swap in fresh when I do spark plugs at 105k.

Reactions: Johnsullivan19

·
Registered
2018 SV Midnight Edition + 2008 Avalon XL
133 Posts
My frontier is still under the cpo warranty for another 4 years and almost 90,000 miles. That's why I tend to stick to oem labeled fluids for maintenance. I use mobil 1 because that's what my nissan dealership uses for synthetic. (Also, gf-6 /api SP mobil 1 tests very very well. )

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
One man's opine:
At what cost = peace of mind? For as long as specific lubricant fluids are in the tranny, diffs, transfer case...I see no reason to skimp.

The factory coolant is supposedly good for 130K miles, IIRC. Though, I think I'll swap in fresh when I do spark plugs at 105k.
And to get even more anal, I only have 18,000 miles on my 2017 truck and I've already changed out all the fluids at least once. Except motor oil which I do every year or 3K miles which ever comes first.

·
Registered
137 Posts
FWIW - I have a 2008 Xterra (identical drivestrain) I used for work for years (40-50K per year) - and as above I just followed the factory specs, and changed out all the fluids once per year, with the exception of the trans which I did a drain and fill about every 20-30K, and the oil obviously. I have now 370,000 miles on that one - it no longer performs that duty. It is the beach / fishing hole transportation rig now. No fluid related issues. And yes, I still use 85w-90 dino oil in the front diff. Its changed so often it never complained - always looked reasonably good coming out as well. NO reason not to go to 75-90 if you prefer.

One not - it was old enough to not have the long life coolant. With your 2018 you can let you coolant go to at least every second year.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
One man's opine:
Maybe if you use and abuse your truck and put it away wet, I'd consider spending money for top-tier products. When I was on a race team, we spared no expense on lubricants because those engines were revved to redline for hours on end, and the diffs and gearboxes would go under full load then no load a hundred times a lap.

But on a road-going vehicle? Eh. Maybe if you drag a big trailer every day or week, or haul a literal ton in the bed, but you ain't doing much of that in a Frontier.

I run a decent oil filter to prevent oil drain-back, but other than that, I get the bang-for-my-buck fluids that meet or exceed OEM, and change them on or ahead of OEM schedule.
Oil filter - Honda A01
Engine oil - Kirkland Signature full synthetic 5W-30 (Costco)
ATF - Valvoline multivehicle full synthetic (Walmart)
Transfer case - same as ATF
Front and rear diffs - Super Tech 75W-90 full synthetic (Walmart)
Brake fluid - AutoZone DOT 3. It's $1 more per quart than SuperTech, cheaper than Prestone, yet it's rated for a dry boil of 519F and a flash of 250F, which is higher than SuperTech and Prestone's ratings. Yes, DOT 4 has higher dry and flash points, but it also has to be changed more frequently. Truck shipped with DOT 3 and I never had a brake over-temperature situation, so DOT 3 it is.

I think vehicles are more forgiving with lubricating fluids than they are given credit for. I'm not saying to run whatever transmission fluid is cheapest and expect to get the longest life out of your transmission. But for example, a Frontier and its driver likely can't tell a difference between 80W-90 and 75W-90 gear oil.

Heck, I once blew a transmission cooler line in the desert in my F-150. Had plenty of extra engine oil but only one quart of transmission fluid. I said to heck with it and poured in 5 quarts of engine oil to replace most of what pumped out of the transmission.

Drove 200 miles home with the trans noticeably but not badly slipping. Got home and did two full DIY flushes (no back-flushing with a T-tap machine) and the trans was back to normal. Drove that truck another 40 or 50k with no problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts