Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stupid son bent the frame on his 2006 Frontier being a dumb a??. Anyone ever swaped out frames before in a home garage? I restore cars for a hobby and have almost any tool I would need but have never went near a project like that. Any advice on a good place to look for information on doing something like this.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
How bad is the frame? Can it be pulled back into spec and then re-inforced?

Replacing a frame is going to suck but can be done. Nobody on here has done it thou. Most just have it pulled back into place and add re-inforcements at most.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My stupid son bent the frame on his 2006 Frontier being a dumb a??. Anyone ever swaped out frames before in a home garage? I restore cars for a hobby and have almost any tool I would need but have never went near a project like that. Any advice on a good place to look for information on doing something like this.
Ouch! I'm going to guess that it would be cheaper to trade it in, take the hit in the reduced value and find another Frontier. Where are you going to find another frame that hasn't been bent because its been in an accident? Does anyone even sell whole frames? I've always heard of repair shops trying to correct the bends, but also heard it usually doesn't work very well and can lead to other problems down the line.

BTW, feel like sharing what your son was doing that he managed to bend it in the first place?

·
Registered
5,928 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
why not take it to an autobody shop and have them straighten the frame?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
ya i would just take the hit from the insurance company. bent frames are usually a total loss scenario.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Per my estimating software a new frame is $2378.00 and pays 29 hours of labor. Depending on the state frame replacements automatically total the vehicle as most states do not allow the frame replacement due to vin mismatches. Good luck with that. I wouldn’t recommend doing it. Take it to a shop and see if they can straighten it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have and I wouldn't do it again! GenIIs ('05 & up) aren't plentiful enough to find a worthy donor to make it worth while for me to suggest doing.

On a lighter note, when I was done I had almost a complete car to dump off at a local scrap yard in the back of my truck and as I was driving off of the scales they asked if I wanted my money... I asked how much is it? "Ten dollars". I drove off... L0L

As stated previously... check out those options first.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Oh well...... I am glad he is YOUR son and not mine.

All I ever did to my Dad's truck was tear out the clutch.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd call around an see about getting it pulled like others have said first, (it's usually only $400-$500).

We've done tons of frame swaps, it's really not that big of a deal, just take your time and label everything real well as you go. Finding a good doner will be the hard part, lol.

The trick to doing the swap is, get all the suspension, motor, and trans moved over to the new frame and get everything else unbolted and ready to pull. Then invite a bunch you friend over for a BBQ, and before they drink too much beer, have them all help move the cab and box over to the new frame, lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't be straightened

Appreciate the responses. I have the truck at a body shop and they couldn't straighten the frame. The shop is very honest so if they say it can't be done I trust them. Completely screwed up the front end where the drivers side suspension mounts and even broke the steering rack. Deployed the air bags, borke the windshield, destroyed drivers side suspension and front sway bar. He was screwing around in an old parking lot and hit a concrete curb.

Best price on a frame I have found is $1,800 and body shop has offered to reduce the labor rate since I am paying for out of pocket. Going to cost $1,200 for labor so that is pretty fair price. Total of $3,000 for the new frame. With other stuff needed will be around $5,000 to fix the truck. Only has 25,000 miles and is in otherwise good shape

Insurance will hammer me if I turn it in. $2,000 surcharge for 3 years and that's the best case scenario. I am going to make my son get a loan and pay it off to repair the truck or I am going to fix and sell the truck if he doesn't step up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts