Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Frintier NISMO -
OK, so my Truck needs to get a smog check the end of this month.
I changed my oil and I figured since I'm changing oil I'll change the oil pressure sensor also because it has been pinned at high for a long time already.
Not sure if it will fail SMOG test if it's pinned high. Anyone know?

Now I got the replacement sensor from Autozone, about $76. I replaced it and the thing still pins high.

Any ideas? Possible bad new one?

It got too dark so I didn't do the disconnect to see if it goes low. I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I'd try a genuine Nissan oil pressure sensor. I've heard of a lot of problems with the aftermarket oil pressure sensors on the Pathfinder forum I moderate.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just taking a guess but that sounds like open to ground problem the wire is probably broken through or chafed and now shorting out somewhere along the way. See its been like this think back did this start happening after some sort of service you did or someone else? maybe pinching it. You could try getting the wiring chapter from the downloaded service book I don't even know if it is still available I didn't get it and see where what an how its routed and see if its good

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
There are three wires. The first two or three years had an actual oil pressure gauge with an oil pressure sensor. It was in 07 or 08 that they changed the oil sensor to an oil pressure switch, so the oil pressure gauge on the later model is technically a "dummy" gauge. If the oil pressure is good, the needle just goes to the center of the gauge.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I bought my new pres switch from Amazon for for about $25 and it works perfectly.
I would try unplugging. Hopefully it's a bad sensor.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
Sadly the internet killed the real gauges from being in our trucks. When the truck first starts the oil pressure is noticeably higher and soon settles down to the normal range. I saw posts on Frontier and Titan forums from people who really aren't mechanically inclined and freaking that they were going to have some sort of failure and so now we have a crappy dummy gauge.
So as much as forums help, they hurt the cause too. I liked my active gauge when I had my Titan, it was a great truck.

Clint

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Have you checked to see if the oil pressure gauge itself is bad?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the test of the sensor disconnected and it stayed in the L (Low) as expected.
So my guess is the new one I got from Autozone was bad.

I did as smj999smj suggested and bought an OEM one from Nissan for $107.
Plugged it in tonight and it worked perfect.

So there you have it, all is good now.
:)

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. There are some parts that are best to stick with genuine Nissan or the OE manufacturer of the part. Parts like thermostats, ignition system parts, fuel pumps and fan clutches, to name a few. VQ engine oil pressure sensors are another one!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To clear up what type of sensor I have, my dashboard has an analog meter/gauge for the oil pressure sensor and not a dummy light.
The oil pressure sensor has three electrical contacts on it.

thanks

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
To clear up what type of sensor I have, my dashboard has an analog meter/gauge for the oil pressure sensor and not a dummy light.
The oil pressure sensor has three electrical contacts on it.

thanks
I believe the "Dummy light" still looks like a gauge. Except that as long as you have pres it will read in the middle. As where the real gauge will fluctuate with the pres.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe the "Dummy light" still looks like a gauge. Except that as long as you have pres it will read in the middle. As where the real gauge will fluctuate with the pres.
I just verified, my gauge is an actual analog gauge. It fluctuates depending on engine speed.

I'll post a pick of the packaging that has the part number just in case anyone is interested or comes across this thread later. ::smile::

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Yes, the "real" gauge and the "dummy" gauge look exactly the same. Honestly, the "real" gauge usually doesn't have much fluctuating in the needle except when the engine is cold and the oil is still on the thick side, or when you nail the accelerator. Three wires to the oil pressure sensor means you have "real" gauge. I'm pretty sure the "dummies" just has the one wire.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yes, the "real" gauge and the "dummy" gauge look exactly the same. Honestly, the "real" gauge usually doesn't have much fluctuating in the needle except when the engine is cold and the oil is still on the thick side, or when you nail the accelerator. Three wires to the oil pressure sensor means you have "real" gauge. I'm pretty sure the "dummies" just has the one wire.
And of course when you actually have low pres, but that's kind of the point!
In any event I'm glad you figured it out. Probably no thanks to us! Lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.