Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Fronty SV
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to avoid doing an extensive research on whether the Rear Tail Light Brake and Turn Signal regular bulbs can be replaced with LED bulbs. Keep hearing about possible issues with hyperflash or malfunctioning if both type of bulbs are used at the same time. Already have reverse light LED bulbs and they work great. Have spent all morning looking at simple Plug n' Play LED bulbs without having to install resistors...too much info out there which can be confusing. Anyone swap their regular bulbs with LED bulbs on rear tail lights on a 2014 + Nissan Frontier?

Many Thanks.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Www.superbrightleds.com

Yes, it's a plug and play swap, turn signal leds will require a resistor.

Secured option, there's a few sellers on eBay of taillight assemblies with brake/tail led panels, you just need turn and backup bulbs. LED turns will require a resistor to prevent hyperflash.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
There’s options out there.. I have replaced all of my exterior to LEDs except for the license plate bulbs. All plug N play with no hyperflash.. @johncap523 has a post on here with all bulbs switched to LEDs, if I find it I’ll post it.

·
Registered
2016 Fronty SV
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There’s options out there.. I have replaced all of my exterior to LEDs except for the license plate bulbs. All plug N play with no hyperflash.. @johncap523 has a post on here with all bulbs switched to LEDs, if I find it I’ll post it.
Thanks MiniDuti.
I will keep an eye open for any other options where I could install LED's without having to install resistors.
Be Well.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Thanks MiniDuti.
I will keep an eye open for any other options where I could install LED's without having to install resistors.
Be Well.
Every Bulb Replaced With LEDs in My '09

I took screenshots of what I used in mine, would have put the link but I think it puts my info in with it.

You only need resistors on the turn signals. Even then it depends on the truck.

yes you’re right about it depending on the vehicle, but there are new Platforms out there that work that have it built into the bulb.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I used those style in my wife's Buick, they didn't seem to last as long as having the resistor separate from the light. In my previous truck I had LED with separate resistors for 8 yrs, never an issue. The all in one I put in the Buick failed in a year. My current setup in the Frontier with separate resistors/bulbs has been there 5 yrs, I have one resistor that just failed after the wire broke. My neighbor is an electrical engineer/tester, he's working to design something better. He has a Hyundai Velostar that eats LED's and resistors, especially the all in one style.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I installed tails / brakes from SuperBrightLEDs.com. Great product, $29.95 a pair. No issues.
I'm not going to do the turn signals, I don't really see the need as they get what, maybe 5% of the usage time of running lamps, prob less?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thanks MiniDuti.
Be Well.
Been running these for awhile. They turn yellow for the turn signal, use them as DRL's all the time.
20200314_154519.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
I dont have faith on the ebay/amazon lights. Most are from china and low quality control.
I installed Diode Dynamics leds (warranty) and VLEDS "vlr 3 duo" resistors.

The DD leds have been flawless. The early units had a low failure rate (1 bulb out of a dozen for me) but they replace no questions. Mailed out a replacement, i sent bad one back in prepaid envelope.
The VLEDS resistors are awesome. Install one on eacr rear turn light and done. The resistor handles both the front and rear on that side. You might have to search directly on their site as some folk would order one for each corner and wonder why it didnt work...

And yes, frontiers up to 2020 will hyperflash without resistors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe you can simply replace the OEM flasher relay with a solid state ("digital") flasher to solve hyperflash in non-CANBUS applications.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I believe you can simply replace the OEM flasher relay with a solid state ("digital") flasher to solve hyperflash in non-CANBUS applications.
14 and newer are controlled by the BCM, no relay. Actually, I think it's 12 and newer.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
The bcm controls all lighting. There are no flasher modules to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
If the BCM is controlling the flash then you may not even get hyperflash.
The bcm will absolutely initiate hyperflash if it doesnt see enough of a load. The only way to fix it is an add in resistor or an led unit that incorporates a resistor into their bulb
Having a large resistor throws off alot of heat. Heat kills leds. To mitigate this cheap mfrs use the bulb chassis as a heatsink. This then puts alot of heat into the oem socket and can melt the socket.
Keep the heat away from the bulb and socket. Install a resistor.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
For those unwilling to search:
VLEDS VLR6= install at each corner. 6ohm 25W load

VLEDS VLR3= install ONE each side. Taillight pocket is ideal. More space, less heat, easier access. 3ohm 50Wload

I have been running the VLR3 for 4 yrs now no issues with Diode Dynamics bulbs. Switchback in front, amber blinker in rear. Bright, no hyperflash.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
For those unwilling to search:
VLEDS VLR6= install at each corner. 6ohm 25W load

VLEDS VLR3= install ONE each side. Taillight pocket is ideal. More space, less heat, easier access. 3ohm 50Wload

I have been running the VLR3 for 4 yrs now no issues with Diode Dynamics bulbs. Switchback in front, amber blinker in rear. Bright, no hyperflash.
I like that single per side idea, might look into that to replace my current 2 per side

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Looks good cuda., I really like the running lights option on these!

I have not driven my truck much lately so I cannot say much about the bulbs I put in. I just know I do not have hyperflash as of now. When I first put them in the tears, right rear did get hyperflash when I turned the headlights on but stopped and hasn’t done it since, dunno what that was about.🤞

1 - 20 of 31 Posts