Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've taken a much needed break from organizing trail runs this past year, but I'm ready to get back into it.

I'm planning on leading a run in the Reno area on Sunday 10/15. The current plan is to go to Hunter Lake from Verdi and back out the same way (so we will not be doing HLT to or from the Reno side). This is a high elevation trail in a forested area (small possibility of snow). The trail is rocky but not very technical. Expect some mud and water on the trail. The plan is subject to change depending on trail conditions. The alternate trail that I have in mind is similar in terms of scenery and difficulty.

The trail run will be suitable for any stock 4WD truck with decent tires (including a spare) and at least one recovery point. Body damage is highly unlikely, but is a possibility on any trail. This is a newbie-friendly trail run, so please don't feel like you can't come if you have little to no off roading experience. My biggest expectations, aside from bringing an appropriate rig, are that you arrive to the meeting spot on time (late people who hold up the group make me sad, and actually we may just leave without you) and that you have a good attitude (because wheeling is fun, and because stuff sometimes happens and trail runs don't always go as planned).

Please arrive at the meeting spot with a full tank of gas no later than 9:30 am (if you are coming from out of the area, plan on arriving somewhere around 9-9:15). We will be meeting at the Chevron off I-80 exit 4 in Verdi, Nevada, at the north end of the parking lot (behind the mini mart).

If you want to come or if you have any questions, post up!

Confirmed attendees:
1. JeniorNV
2. Token Taco
3. rawkerstatus
4. kode3
5. A local Tacoma friend
6. A local Titan guy
7. A local Xterra guy

Tentative attendees:
8. Nissan4Life

There is a halfway decent possibility of seeing some nice fall colors, but sometimes I botch the timing so please don't hate me if the aspens aren't pretty. These pictures were taken on 10/9/16.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Wow, PRETTY
I will look forward to seeing more trail pics

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Damn, I wish I had a 4wd truck. If this was 2wd friendly, I would make a trip out of it.

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, I wish I had a 4wd truck. If this was 2wd friendly, I would make a trip out of it.
Sorry. :( Unfortunately the terrain around here is so rocky and hilly that there aren't many trails that are 2WD friendly. Even if this one normally was, I won't have the opportunity to scout it out before this run, and there exists the possibility of snow, mud, or the trail being significantly more torn up than the last time I ran it (something that happened to a lot of locals trails after last winter).

I have an open seat that I'd offer up if you were more local, but it's an awfully long drive to make just to sit in someone else's truck.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Colors are changing up here. I think your timing might be perfect.

About how long do you think the run is going take?

I decided not to tear down my front end last weekend. SO my truck is still ready to run. All janky. But wheelable.

I'll give you a confirmation next week.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Colors are changing up here. I think your timing might be perfect.

About how long do you think the run is going take?

I sure hope it is. I took a drive up Mount Rose Highway last week and all the aspens were green. Yesterday, looking out across the valley (I live on the east side of Reno-Sparks), I noticed a patch of yellow in the vicinity of Hunter Lake/Mount Rose. Typically when the aspens peak, I can see multiple patches like that.

That's my least favorite question to try to answer because it depends on so many factors. With the current group size, mid to late afternoon might be a reasonably good estimate if everything goes relatively smoothly.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Sorry. :( Unfortunately the terrain around here is so rocky and hilly that there aren't many trails that are 2WD friendly. Even if this one normally was, I won't have the opportunity to scout it out before this run, and there exists the possibility of snow, mud, or the trail being significantly more torn up than the last time I ran it (something that happened to a lot of locals trails after last winter).

I have an open seat that I'd offer up if you were more local, but it's an awfully long drive to make just to sit in someone else's truck.
Yeah, doesn't sound like it would be a good idea for my situation. I am hoping to find myself an older Nismo or salvaged Pro4x as an off road rig soon. In the meantime, I shall only do easy to moderate trails.

I appreciate the offer for the seat tho, but yeah, its quite the drive. I was going to bring my wife as well.

Have a blast out there! Post pics!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Can you give an estimate of the worst we might see technicality-wise? Like, last time you ran it? Just looking for an idea what to expect for the Dmax. Totally capable truck, but still...stock

Like, on a scale of Foothill to Fremontia lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Can you give an estimate of the worst we might see technicality-wise? Like, last time you ran it? Just looking for an idea what to expect for the Dmax. Totally capable truck, but still...stock

Like, on a scale of Foothill to Fremontia lol

It's hard to put it in Hollister terms because the terrain is different. It wasn't anywhere close to as tough as the worst spot on Fremontia the last time I ran it. I'd call it a blue trail.

The vast majority of this trail the last time I ran it was quite stock doable. There are some sections with small to medium-sized rocks, but they're more annoying than anything and smart tire placement would get you through just fine. The only real section that I'm worried about is a stream that crosses the trail and also travels down the trail for a short distance. Hard side=rocks, easy side=mud. I don't know how torn up it is this year or how much water/mud is in it.

The stream is probably at roughly the halfway point (very rough guess...I'm so bad at remembering/judging distances) but the very best aspen groves are before we reach it. When we get there, I'll likely have everyone else hang back while I drive through it. I never have a problem making my rig the sacrificial lamb if it ensure everyone else's safety. ;) If I don't feel we can get the group through safely, we will turn around. If that ends up making the trail run too short, we'll drive back over the freeway and hit the Dog Valley/Peavine area, which reminds me of Hollister in the sense of having a ton of trails everywhere, but it is muuuuuuuuuuuuch bigger and every trail that I've been on falls somewhere between Subaru-easy and just-barely-stock-doable. It's a short drive from one trailhead to the other and won't be a problem for aired down tires.

I've seen you drive plenty of times and I'm not worried about you. I know your Frontier was more agile and better equipped than your current rig, but I am intentionally planning this as a stock doable/full sized doable/inexperienced driver doable run. I have some people signed up that I've never been wheeling with and I want to make this a good experience for them (well, for everyone). It should still be a fun run for the more experienced drivers/better equipped rigs because the scenery is pretty, and the terrain is interesting and does offer some optional challenges (who says you need to avoid the biggest boulders?).

Maybe a more detailed response than what you were looking for but that's how I roll.

·
Registered
741 Posts
It's hard to put it in Hollister terms because the terrain is different. It wasn't anywhere close to as tough as the worst spot on Fremontia the last time I ran it. I'd call it a blue trail.

The vast majority of this trail the last time I ran it was quite stock doable. There are some sections with small to medium-sized rocks, but they're more annoying than anything and smart tire placement would get you through just fine. The only real section that I'm worried about is a stream that crosses the trail and also travels down the trail for a short distance. Hard side=rocks, easy side=mud. I don't know how torn up it is this year or how much water/mud is in it.

The stream is probably at roughly the halfway point (very rough guess...I'm so bad at remembering/judging distances) but the very best aspen groves are before we reach it. When we get there, I'll likely have everyone else hang back while I drive through it. I never have a problem making my rig the sacrificial lamb if it ensure everyone else's safety. ;) If I don't feel we can get the group through safely, we will turn around. If that ends up making the trail run too short, we'll drive back over the freeway and hit the Dog Valley/Peavine area, which reminds me of Hollister in the sense of having a ton of trails everywhere, but it is muuuuuuuuuuuuch bigger and every trail that I've been on falls somewhere between Subaru-easy and just-barely-stock-doable. It's a short drive from one trailhead to the other and won't be a problem for aired down tires.

I've seen you drive plenty of times and I'm not worried about you. I know your Frontier was more agile and better equipped than your current rig, but I am intentionally planning this as a stock doable/full sized doable/inexperienced driver doable run. I have some people signed up that I've never been wheeling with and I want to make this a good experience for them (well, for everyone). It should still be a fun run for the more experienced drivers/better equipped rigs because the scenery is pretty, and the terrain is interesting and does offer some optional challenges (who says you need to avoid the biggest boulders?).

Maybe a more detailed response than what you were looking for but that's how I roll.
Nope, that's all good. I'm still a go ;-)

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a heads up on the weather forecast for Sunday. It looks like it will be dry, with no precipitation expected between now and then. But it will be a little on the chilly side. The forecast for Verdi shows a morning low of 25 degrees and a high of 64. The Mount Rose Wilderness Area (closest weather station to where we'll be ending up) shows a forecasted high of 52. Dress accordingly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts