Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to discuss the technicalities of this process, not peoples opinions about what is good or bad.

I am looking to remove the entire 4WD system in my 99 SE V6 and end up with a pure 2WD/RWD setup. To do so, I believe I have to:

- Remove/discard the transfer case
- Remove/discard the front driveshaft
- Remove/discard the front differential
- Remove/discard the CV axles
- Install rear driveshaft from 99 Frontier or Pathfinder that was V6 RWD only
- Install wheel spindles/wheel hub assemblies from 99 Frontier or Pathfinder that was V6 RWD only
- Install 2WD center console from 99 Frontier (for aesthetics) if such thing exists

What I am overlooking or missing? I don't believe the front suspension changes at all. Please advise.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The transmission probably needs to be swapped with a 2wd specific model. The 4wd trans is shorter due to having the transfer case behind it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yep, it wouldn’t be as simple as just unbolting the transfer case and bolting on a driveshaft. I believe the transmission would have to have the tail shaft replaced with one from a 2wd v6 transmission. Alternatively you could just swap the whole transmission with one from a 2wd v6.

As far as the front hub parts go, it could be a little confusing. The 2wd trucks had a much different front suspension configuration so the wheel bearing/hub parts may have been different as well. Im not sure things will go together or work once you remove that front CV shaft and you can’t just put on a 2wd spindle since it’s so different.

The desert runner was a 2wd v6 built on the same frame with (basically) the same suspension as the 4x4. You may want to try to get ahold of the front hub/spindle parts from one of those. They started in 2000.

Also, I don’t think there ever was a 2wd V6 frontier in 1999 (which was the first year for the 3.3 v6 in the frontier)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I will certainly go down the Dessert Runner road then and explore populating the transmission and front suspension into my 99. I realized early on all 99 V6 models were 4WD.

Reasoning: I never use it, I don’t wheel, nor care. My heart is set on trophy trucks and fabrication. When my son is old enough I'd like to make this a 5+ year build journey together. After all it'll be his grandfathers truck and his dad's truck!

The 99 is my daily driver now so in the meantime I’m simply wanting to reduce complexity and improve power/weight. I’ve removed the entire A/C system and did a couple airflow upgrades, the difference is significant already!

·
Gone but not forgotten Member
5,729 Posts
TT’s as in Trophy Trucks?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
do you really need to change the front spindles? Taking the CV's out should allow you to run the front as is unless the First Gen works different than the second gen in that aspect. I have never seen the wheels off either version of a first gen to say, but even if you just pull them and the front drive shaft and differential that should improve your mileage for now until you have the parts to do the rest. I know I ran around with my Xterra that way for a month of so after I broke CVs that are still stuck in the front diff and it did make a difference, but nothing bad happened to the rest of the system.

·
5,729 Posts
I think your plan of building a truck with your son is really cool!
The Frontier will make a nice prerunner.
A TT is a ground up build and not based on any existing platform.
The only thing close to a TT is a 1450 truck.
It has to have a steel cab and doors.
Don’t want to discourage you but you might want to set your sights a lot lower if you are planning on using the Frontier.
These are my friend’s trucks.
First photo is a 1450
Second is a 6100 Spec. TT
Third photo, friend drives for this team.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks!

You are absolutely correct. This will be something as close as the fabrication Gods will allow!

I think your plan of building a truck with your son is really cool!
The Frontier will make a nice prerunner.
A TT is a ground up build and not based on any existing platform.
The only thing close to a TT is a 1450 truck.
It has to have a steel cab and doors.
Don’t want to discourage you but you might want to set your sights a lot lower if you are planning on using the Frontier.
These are my friend’s trucks.
First photo is a 1450
Second is a 6100 Spec. TT
Third photo, friend drives for this team.
No clue, hoping to find all my answers here :)

If I posted pics of the wheels off would that give you better insight into if it will work similar to how you did your Xterra?

do you really need to change the front spindles? Taking the CV's out should allow you to run the front as is unless the First Gen works different than the second gen in that aspect. I have never seen the wheels off either version of a first gen to say, but even if you just pull them and the front drive shaft and differential that should improve your mileage for now until you have the parts to do the rest. I know I ran around with my Xterra that way for a month of so after I broke CVs that are still stuck in the front diff and it did make a difference, but nothing bad happened to the rest of the system.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Honestly, if just weight savings and some power gain is what you are looking for, just do the following:

-Remove front driveshaft
-Remove front diff
-Remove CV axles
-Leave T case installed

This will be much cheaper and easier to get the same effect. No sense in changing everything else to the 2wd version. The hubs will be just fine without the CVs installed and by leaving the t case installed you don't need a new tailshaft or driveshaft. You also keep low range 2wd if you ever needed to pull something (like a boat out of the water up a ramp).

·
5,729 Posts
Checkout MetalAlien build thread.
Pretty much the limit on a first generation Frontier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I do like the stout feel of it (4.10 gears I think). Thanks for jumping in and letting me know what’s up! That’s why I posted, thanks everyone!

Honestly, if just weight savings and some power gain is what you are looking for, just do the following:

-Remove front driveshaft
-Remove front diff
-Remove CV axles
-Leave T case installed

This will be much cheaper and easier to get the same effect. No sense in changing everything else to the 2wd version. The hubs will be just fine without the CVs installed and by leaving the t case installed you don't need a new tailshaft or driveshaft. You also keep low range 2wd if you ever needed to pull something (like a boat out of the water up a ramp).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any experience with or observations of the 4x4parts.com coil over shock hoops? For converting from the torsion system to coilover. I think it’s be awesome to have front coilovers on a 99. I understand cutting the fender wells is likely and acceptable to me.

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981704-weld-on-shock-hoop-for-single-coil-over.html

I don’t mean to confuse the thread topic with another subject, just looking for directions if already covered elsewhere. I haven’t been able to find another discussion in here about them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for mentioning the hubs. I’d like to put on new front hub assemblies (auto parts store) for the Desert Runner. Any weight savings or other benefit here do you see?

-Remove front driveshaft
-Remove front diff
-Remove CV axles
-Leave T case installed

·
5,729 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with or observations of the 4x4parts.com coil over shock hoops? For converting from the torsion system to coilover. I think it’s be awesome to have front coilovers on a 99. I understand cutting the fender wells is likely and acceptable to me.

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981704-weld-on-shock-hoop-for-single-coil-over.html

I don’t mean to confuse the thread topic with another subject, just looking for directions if already covered elsewhere. I haven’t been able to find another discussion in here about them.
You said your heart is in fabrication and TT’s.
If that is what you really meant, fabricate your own hoops. Purchase a tube bender, notcher which you need if you want to really do fabrication.
Spend your money on equipment! Buy a good welder and learn how to use it.
Just to add, those hoops would only allow a single shock. Being two wheel drive, you would want to run a bypass and coil over shocks.

Attachments

·
5,729 Posts
Just to add, my truck is pretty much done. That photo of my tube bender was quite a few years ago.
This is my garage now and I am still buying equipment and tools!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate all your feedback and timely responses! I thought of the hoop kit because it's pretty cheap and seems like it could do the job. Good point about externals and dual shock setups.

I think I might give it a try anyway for an improvement over stock on the street while it remains my daily driver. After 10 years or so when I'm ready to completely tear down and build up then I will obviously readdress the front suspension setup.

Just to add, my truck is pretty much done. That photo of my tube bender was quite a few years ago.
This is my garage now and I am still buying equipment and tools!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts