Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to removing the rear seats in my KC, I should have done this loooong ago, it took less than 5minutes, and gives me a ton more storage space.

The next step is going to be removing the big piece of plastic that covers the rear of the cab and has the bump-out for the jack. Then I will cover a piece of plywood with matching fabric and attach that to get rid of the bump-out and make it even flatter for more storage. At the same time I will also be building a floor-box level with the top of the hump that the KC seats folded above. This will give me a perfectly flat floor with a perfectly flat back wall making a lot easier to store large things. the floor will have a hinged lid on either side so I can use the space between the truck floor and the raised flat floor for more storage of small things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am definitely interested in seeing this project progress as I have been toying around with the same idea. The seats are wasted space for me and I'd much rather have a flat surface where I can put things that I don't want in the bed.

Be sure to keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Progress...

Everything that I removed, minus some small bits and pieces. And obviously I already had the headrests and seats removed.

What it looks like now:

And how I bent my bed by pulling into my garage with my hi-lift mounted vertically. DOH! I also got a little dent above the window next to the 3rd brakelight, I am going to try the dry ice trick and see if it comes out. The grocery store right down the road from me sells dry ice oddly enough!

Any advice on how I can sound deaden that back wall? I was thinking of spraying something like a bedliner on it, but I didn't want all the overspray, maybe rolling it on? Or how about a stick-on mat type deadener, does anyone know of any cheap ones?

More updates will follow in the next couple days...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think all sound deadeners are all about the same and some swear by using ice and water shield from Home Depot / Lowe's. I've used Raammat (http://www.raamaudio.com/) before with excellent results.

Here it is in my '99 Dakota (if the attachments load)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Wow, I love this idea! That false bottom would be a great place to hide things out of eyesight. I just took the driver's side reat seat out for a sub install I'm working on. I think I'l go this route after I get a little more that 3 payments under my belt. :)

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I made some good progress today, I'll post a pic tonight after I get a little more done.

On Saturday I cut off the bracket that holds the stock jack and jack tools, then sprayed the back wall (avoiding my mounting points) with sound deadener. I did not do this to make the truck any quieter, I only did it to not make the truck any louder, as the stock plastic that I am replacing had some foam mat of the back to reduce sound.

Today I did all the main wood working. It is all 1/2" MDF. I still have to cut the 2 doors that will be in the floor on either side, finish up a couple details, glue/screw and carpet everything.

It is built so that the platform just clears with the seats all the way back (how I always have them) and reclined at whatever angle you want.
I know some of you would have done it with some curves and stuff to make it look nicer, but I wanted it to be as utilitarian as possible to make it as easy as possible to store lots of stuff like coolers, my action packer, etc.

Here are the pics:

That gap isnt poor workmanship, its just because its not glued together yet.

Try fitting a 35gal. Action Packer in your KC without this mod! IMPOSSIBLE!

·
Registered
301 Posts
wow get that thing carpeted up and post up some finished pics. i would love to see this.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
brianbfd said:
I did something very similar, but left the jack cover. I like your idea with the removable storage box.
Yep, thats pretty similar to what I am going for. I just decided to remove that whole rear piece because it created about 2" of dead space across the whole back wall, then about 4" of dead space where the jack bumps out.

·
Registered
488 Posts
that is sweet i will definitley be doing this mod.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Reminds me of my speaker box and tool box combo I had in my old '99 King Cab. Very cool.

Here's a pic of mine to throw out some other idea...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My old '94 hard body had a similar set up, except mine had the subs firing down. I had the box built so my rottweiler could ride on the top of the box but not hit the top of the cab with his head. (you should have seen the guy measuring my dog hahaha) Best part, just looking in the window you saw nothing of interest...so no one broke in.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. It was a nice box and left me with a nice shelf to lay stuff on. It also easily came out when I needed to get to the jack.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
OK, so its been almost a month since I started this thread, but I finally got around to finishing this mod after not touching it for a couple weeks.

Here are the pics:

In the 2nd pic you can see the vent that I still have yet to cover, but that is a 10minute job. I am just going to cut a strip of fabric the height of the back wall about 2.5" wide or so. It will cover the part of the stock plastic where you can see the back panel used to snap in, and be wide enough to cover the vent as well.

The little blue pieces you see, are the pull-taps for the doors.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
stevet47 said:
OK, so its been almost a month since I started this thread, but I finally got around to finishing this mod after not touching it for a couple weeks.

Here are the pics:

In the 2nd pic you can see the vent that I still have yet to cover, but that is a 10minute job. I am just going to cut a strip of fabric the height of the back wall about 2.5" wide or so. It will cover the part of the stock plastic where you can see the back panel used to snap in, and be wide enough to cover the vent as well.

The little blue piece you see, and the pull-taps for the doors.
Looks great and oem like. Real Clean. But paint those white racks like grey or black.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts