Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mudflaps have never caused me a problem. But I'm constantly conscious of them when driving over obstacles like curbs and things, which I do a lot. Since they are non flexible, it feels like if I come down off of a high curb, that the rear flaps could drag and instead of just breaking loose they'd wad my fender up instead, not that I don't already have one rear quarter panel dented from backing into my own mailbox at home (which I utterly hate that I did).

Off topic, I worked most of that dent out, but I may have made it harder to fix than if I'd just left it alone. My mailbox is one of those plastic, rounded, Little Tikes looking ones, so it didn't do a lot of damage. Just left some odd angled shallow, rounded grooves in the sheet metal. I worked on it from inside the fender with pieces of wood that I rounded off with a router. I did fair but it went from softly grooved to looking rippled. I may try to have it done better at a body shop later. In certain shaded lighting it shows badly and makes me sick about it, but in normal daylight or bright sun it cannot even be seen. But that's off point.

Anyway, I'm thinking of removing the mud flaps to provide more clearance and remove the worry of dragging them. I can't decide if I like the look better without them or not. At one time I thought they gave the truck its own unique look, and then there's the obvious benefit of not having pebbles thrown up onto the body as I drive, too. I like the way they look on it, but then I like how it can look without them, also. I don't go offroad much, and when I do it is mostly poorly maintained dirt/gravel roads through the woods to old forgotten cemeteries.

What would you do? Is there a huge mud slinging and pebble dinging risk without them? No other truck I've had ever had them but I know tires, wheel width, and body shape all come into play there. Seems this Nissan is wider where the wheels are, and narrower through the mid section, making the tires stick out enough that they may sling everything all over the truck without the flaps.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Remove them before they are removed by an obstacle. The previous owner of mine manged to hit something and both rear fenders are dented from the flaps. Go with flexable ones or none at all.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Get flexible ones! I ordered mine directly from RallyArmor. They're still in great shape after about 2 years of use.
Can you post pics of those rally armor on your truck?

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
Take them of and see what happens.If it doesn't work out find an alternative.Should not take long to decide whether it is right for you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm. I live in the tri-state area of Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia. We do get snow and ice here. I came real close to just removing them tonight to try it out, because I can always reinstall them again if I want them back. Decided to wait for daylight since the screws need put back in after removing them. I remember seeing big chunks of ice hanging on them the last two winters, so much that the tires barely had clearance. I always wondered what would happen if a large piece broke loose while moving. That would be like having a big rock wedged in there. I bet it would do damage as it flopped against the tire and broke up. Honestly, I like the cosmetics of the flaps, and their usefulness keeping mud splatter down, but aside from that I think their stiffness and risk of fender damage, and their dirt/snow/ice/salt collecting is a bad thing.

·
Super Moderator
10,752 Posts
How about the road debris sand blasting that nice paint the the body?
I'm on my 5th frontier and never had any issues even when on the last one backed into a little ice bank and popped the screw through the hole and just reset it with no sheet metal damage.

Clint

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
i think i may order a set of universals. with how much ive been trailing lately and how bad salt and shitty road surfaces are with how wide i am it just makes sense.
my **** is falling apart, i may two tone it next year lol

·
Registered
876 Posts
Had this happen to my Tacoma, wrinkled the fender flare and tore up the sheetmetal where they mount. When I removed all four I found they had worn through the paint. What I will probably end up doing with my Frontier is cutting the plastic flaps short and riveting some flexible rubber to them, cheap and simple.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't had any issues so far. I just recognize potential for something to happen.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I took mine off after purchasing. After 5 winters in Syracuse i have no issues with rocks or salt being thrown up, taking paint off the rear fenders. They will not keep the salt off the truck, only way its to wash or rinse religiously in winter.

I knew i would loose them while wheeling so i got rid of them. Just take them off and be done. Your worried about looks but dont want to damage the truck so just get rid of them. Buy the rally armor ones if you want flaps that flex. Done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts