Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 NIssan Frontier SV 4x4 CC
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is New-to-Me and came with some dried cement around one of the floor tracks. I did some google-searching and found some mentions of soaking in a vinegar solution. If it isn't damaging to the spray-liner I will give it a try. Does anyone have some other suggestions?

·
Registered
2014 Frontier SV Crew 4x2
63 Posts
Just be careful with any thing acidic due to corrosiveness. You don’t want to start rust anywhere. Yikes!

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
The chemicals in the concrete didn’t kill it. I’d very carefully take a chisel or screwdriver and chip it away, go long ways to stay away from the bed lining. Don’t chip straight down. Good luck with the truck.

Clint

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
That's what I was thinking too Clint, using a mason's chisel and being patient all the way.

Reactions: stevet47

·
Registered
2014 Frontier SV Crew 4x2
63 Posts
You might try a wire brush and work at it bit by bit. The spray-on liner is pretty tough and can take some good abuse. Chances are you won’t get all of it off but most likely.

·
Registered
2014 NIssan Frontier SV 4x4 CC
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chipping and wire brush seems like the way...I think I will take the track off of the bed to help dislodge some and then tackle the rest w/ it off. Maybe hit the risiduals with a can of touch-up liner spray? Idk about that part yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
Chipping and wire brush seems like the way...I think I will take the track off of the bed to help dislodge some and then tackle the rest w/ it off. Maybe hit the risiduals with a can of touch-up liner spray? Idk about that part yet.
You may have a problem removing the track due to loctite and age, I’d try to just chip it and not complicate things. A wire brush is harsh, a nylon bristled brush is more forgiving. You can find a grout brush at Home Depot that has a chisel tip that will fit next to the track nicely and about $5.

Clint

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ever considered using an oscillating tool with one of those grout removing blades??

Hit it from an angle with light pressure & it should remove the cement....

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would got at the thick areas along the the track gingerly with a wide dull chisel and a hammer. Get most of the high spots, leave a thin white layer. Bed lining with a thin coat of concrete is better than chipping through bed coat and worrying about rust

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would got at the thick areas along the the track gingerly with a wide dull chisel and a hammer (maybe even a large flathead screwdriver if your feeling adventurous). Get most of the high spots, leave a thin white layer. Bed lining with a thin coat of concrete is better than chipping through bed coat and worrying about rust

·
Registered
361 Posts
It’s a truck. Honestly I’d leave it I’ve put a couple dents in my bed and scratched the Bedliner as well. You can always put a piece of plywood in the bed to protect the bed. I really like how that works on mine plus it would cover the concrete.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Remove as much as you can then pressure wash it.

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
pour a cup of pool acid on it then hose off after a minute or so.
And try to protect the undamaged part next to it with vaseline or wheel bearing grease while doing this; maybe create a vaseline "dam".

And do you mean concrete and not cement? When the Beverly Hillbillies called their pool a "cement pond" they just added to the already-there confusion !

Reactions: vjmvjm and PNWMTB

·
Registered
241 Posts
Vinegar is acetic acid and mild. I think the suggestion of soaking with white vinegar is good. The cement is basic so the acid should help release the bond.

Tt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts