Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Not without significant work and refinishing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid of that. I would like to get them out and then plug all the holes so I can Line X that portion.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I put a Wade tailgate cap on mine and left the Rivnuts there, it covered them.

Don't know what other options might work... maybe some kind of plug and then
Line-X over them? Or there's always Maaco.

·
Registered
950 Posts
It's just a standard Rivnut, just get a drillbit .100 larger than the existing hole and drill until the upper flange pops off,and plug with a plastic cap from any hardware store.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the Westin cap I got covers the holes but bulges out where they protrude and looks bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI, the 27/64 drill bit made quick, clean work on removing them. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I put a Wade tailgate cap on mine and left the Rivnuts there, it covered them.

Don't know what other options might work... maybe some kind of plug and then
Line-X over them? Or there's always Maaco.
My OE cap is broken and I am replacing with a Wade. How difficult was it to remove the old cap?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My OE cap is broken and I am replacing with a Wade. How difficult was it to remove the old cap?
Fairly easy, comes off in two pieces. The top portion is clipped in and then the bottom is held in by the torx screws. Since yours is already broken, shouldn't even have to worry about removing the tailgate panel to pop the top part off.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't know about the Westin, but the Wade did have some distortion
around the rivnuts underneath, but after a week of so it smoothed
out and looks great now. There's a pic on my "Build" thread.

Rjay has it covered on removing the OEM cap... not hard at all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Fairly easy, comes off in two pieces. The top portion is clipped in and then the bottom is held in by the torx screws. Since yours is already broken, shouldn't even have to worry about removing the tailgate panel to pop the top part off.
Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
@Pacer6 @rjay @LittleBull
Does this mean one of you has a top (and hopefully bottom, too) tailgate cap they need to get rid of?

I had an unfortunate accident that involved an AC unit falling off the back of the truck after I forgot to put the tailgate up.
The top cap never quite sat properly after that, and disappeared one day, never to be seen again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
@Pacer6 @rjay @LittleBull
Does this mean one of you has a top (and hopefully bottom, too) tailgate cap they need to get rid of?

I had an unfortunate accident that involved an AC unit falling off the back of the truck after I forgot to put the tailgate up.
The top cap never quite sat properly after that, and disappeared one day, never to be seen again.
Mine broke while driving and the top disappeared. I took the bottom half off and tossed it, sorry, The Wade I got will fit perfectly. Not like the OEM one. It is quite a bit cheaper too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts