Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to installing a remote trans filter. Connected after the transmission cooler and mounted on the opposite side. Used an XG8A filter on a NAPA base.
It sits behind the chrome grill portion and is not easily seen unless you look closely.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great addition...Do the automatics have a true transmission temperature gauge?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No trans temp gauge. I think some of the tuners like Bully Dog can get the trans temp reading, but not sure which ones.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Napa base 4764. Wix 24764 & Napa 4764 Filter Base: FleetFilter Secure Store - Wix, Fram, Baldwin, Luberfiner
This base has 1/2 inch threaded ports. I adapted down to 3/8 barbed fitting and used 3/8 transmission hose. I believe napa has other bases with 3/8 ports, but none were available locally so I went this route.

My intention was to connect directly to the trans cooler, but the 3/8 hose was not a snug fit on the cooler. It looks like the stock hose is around 8mm, so I cut the stock hose and used a barbed union to make the connection to both lines. 5/16 hose if available might be better fit.

There a a couple of videos on utube of filter installs underneath on the frame. I hate crawling under if not necessary and it only takes a minute to remove the grill. This was the main reason for this location.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would be curious about a restriction and resulting psi drop by adding more line and a filter? I like the idea, but would love to see some data before I added line and filter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would be curious about a restriction and resulting psi drop by adding more line and a filter? I like the idea, but would love to see some data before I added line and filter.
I can't speak to a Nissan, but I have had an external tranny filter installed on every automatic I have owned with nothing but positive results. I have also added external cooling on all my auto tranny vehicles in attempt to keep fluid temperature between 170-200 degrees. Understand that I am talking about diesel trucks and cars...heat kills. I also always add external coolant filtering which I plan on doing this week on the Frontier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The base I used has 4 ports. You could easily put a temp sensor none of the ports if desired.
But in my case the filter is after the rad and aux tranny cooler so the temp would reflect fluid temp after cooling and on it's way back to the sump.
I would be more interested in a temp before going through both coolers as this better reflects the internal tranny temp in my opinion.

·
Registered
829 Posts
So, I am not by any means knowledgeable about in line transmission filters -just find the topic interesting - but it would seem to me that as long as additional fluid was added to make up for the amount of fluid that will be residing continuously in the added tubing and filter that there shouldn't be any difference or drop in the overall PSI as long as the filter allows the fluid to pass and the tubing is sized to match the rest of tubing. You would likely have to start up the car, drive it around, and then add more fluid to the transmission to account for the additional tubing and filter.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
If you use a Scanguage device, hooked to the OBD II port, there are codes you can manually input that will monitor pan temp and output line temp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts