Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone from Canada confirm that the Pro-4X does not come with the remote Tailgate lock without purchasing as an option.
Packages are different here in Canada, so not sure if it is included here on Pro model. Didn't think to test that on my test drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
77 Posts
It does not come unless you purchase it as an option.

I didn't get it on my Pro-4X with luxury trim, purchased in Kelowna, BC.

I would have ordered it if I had the chance, but I didn't get to select all my options because I got a first production run model so the factory built whatever they thought people would want. I did not get the remote tailgate lock (that I would love to have) but I did get the drop step & access handle (which I wouldn't order and will be taking off this weekend).

My dealer expects it'll be about $500 for me to add it now.

Wanna buy my step/handle?

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
6 Posts
Same here...Pro4X with luxury package in Surrey BC on Sep 17th...tailgate lock is manual only with each fob's removeable key and an extra spare key that came with the 2 fobs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I jut heard back from my dealer about having it added.

$700.00 with install. $700, and that's not even a typo.

I'll keep using the key until Z1 figures out the install procedure and I'll buy one off them to install myself.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,018 Posts
You can install a door lock actuator inside your tailgate for less than $50.

It's not all that difficult.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Here's a how to created by @raine on his 2014.

Your tailgate locking mechanism might be a lil different and you may have to figure out the best way to mount the actuator but it's not difficult.

$700 is way too much. I'm sure that even a car audio and security shop would install one for less.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I jut heard back from my dealer about having it added.

$700.00 with install. $700, and that's not even a typo.

I'll keep using the key until Z1 figures out the install procedure and I'll buy one off them to install myself.
Yeah, mine just told me $890+taxes with install. Ridiculous.
I can buy for $500 without install and do it myself. I assume it isn't difficult. I don't really want an aftermarket one that would require using a separate key fob.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can buy for $500 without install and do it myself. I assume it isn't difficult. I don't really want an aftermarket one that would require using a separate key fob.
The only thing that I'm unsure about is if the harness is pre-wired. I would expect/imagine it is and then it should literally be a plug 'n play install. But if it's not pre-wired, I'm not sure I feel like mucking about with wiring something into my brand new truck...

One of us Canadians should really crack the tailgate open and check. Maybe I'll do that if I have time on the weekend..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of us Canadians should really crack the tailgate open and check. Maybe I'll do that if I have time on the weekend..
Not me... I am still waiting for delivery, so no truck to checkout yet :) But let me know the results if you look.

The other question I would have with the install is how you setup with your existing key fob. Hopefully that isn't something that the dealer needs to do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not me... I am still waiting for delivery, so no truck to checkout yet :) But let me know the results if you look.

The other question I would have with the install is how you setup with your existing key fob. Hopefully that isn't something that the dealer needs to do.
As far as the fob, I'm hoping/assuming that if the harness is pre-wired it will basically tie into the existing lock circuit for when the back doors unlock so no programming would be required. At least that's how I think it would/should work..

I'll let you know what I find if I end up cracking it open..

·
Registered
27 Posts
as a canadian who paid for the tailgate lock on my pro 4x, even the mechanics were shocked the truck didn't come with it.

now that it's in, the way it works is that the tailgate unlocks when the back doors unlock. it should be included but its done now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
as a canadian who paid for the tailgate lock on my pro 4x, even the mechanics were shocked the truck didn't come with it.

now that it's in, the way it works is that the tailgate unlocks when the back doors unlock. it should be included but its done now.
What did you pay including install, and where did you have it done? My local Kitchener dealer wants $890.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts

Splice into the lock/unlock wires in the cabin and it functions normally with your keyfob.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Separate keyfob isn't necessary.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,113 Posts
I think in the 14 years I have owned my truck, I have locked the tailgate maybe a dozen times. What is everyone keeping in their trucks that is so valuable to keep others out, but not valuable enough to be worth $800?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
All I know is I'd rather buy some zip cord, wire loom, door lock actuator, save $750 and muck around wiring into a brand new truck instead of letting a stranger do it.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts

What are the chances of you posting some pics of the actuator they installed?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts