Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2011 Pro 4X with a working remote start. I then changed my radio head unit to an aftermarket. Now the remote start just cranks but won't fire. The alarm works fine along with the power locks. Any ideas what might be causing this no start. Starts fine with the key.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
I recently bought a 2011 Pro 4X with a working remote start. I then changed my radio head unit to an aftermarket. Now the remote start just cranks but won't fire. The alarm works fine along with the power locks. Any ideas what might be causing this no start. Starts fine with the key.
By "alarm" do you mean aftermarket also, or the factory immobilizer?

As an experiment, have someone hold the MASTER key next to the ignition (not actually inserted into the ignition) while you try the remote start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

As an experiment, have someone hold the MASTER key next to the ignition (not actually inserted into the ignition) while you try the remote start.
Thanks for the reply. I really don't know the difference between the factory alarm and aftermarket. It has a compustar remote fob. I think it has aftermarket alarm. I did check all the fuses from the remote start harness along with the ones under the dash. All were good. When I put in the stereo it was mostly plug and play, not sure if that disturbed it. It cranks 3 seconds each time but no fire. Then when I try to start with key it takes a bit to start then it will be fine until i try remote starter again. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I tried holding the key I use to start it up to the switch and still won't fire. Is the chip key the MASTER key?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same remote start on my truck. The system has a valet mode that disables the remote but allows the key to still start it. It’s a safety mode to allow people to service the vehicle with the system disabled. It probably went into this mode when you disconnected/reconnected the battery. For my fob you have to put the key in the ignition and toggle on off 5 times in 10 seconds followed by stepping on the brake to exit valet mode. Details for single and multi button fobs are on their website

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I really don't know the difference between the factory alarm and aftermarket. It has a compustar remote fob. I think it has aftermarket alarm.
If you're using a Compustar fob and not a Nissan fob then it's aftermarket.

I tried holding the key I use to start it up to the switch and still won't fire. Is the chip key the MASTER key?
Master key is the main Nissan key. I only mentioned it becuase for sure there's a transponder in it to disable the immobilizer.

Then when I try to start with key it takes a bit to start then it will be fine.
What do you mean by "it takes a bit to start"? Is your battery good?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're using a Compustar fob and not a Nissan fob then it's aftermarket.

Master key is the main Nissan key. I only mentioned it becuase for sure there's a transponder in it to disable the immobilizer.

What do you mean by "it takes a bit to start"? Is your battery good?
Battery is new, cranks great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same remote start on my truck. The system has a valet mode that disables the remote but allows the key to still start it. It’s a safety mode to allow people to service the vehicle with the system disabled. It probably went into this mode when you disconnected/reconnected the battery. For my fob you have to put the key in the ignition and toggle on off 5 times in 10 seconds followed by stepping on the brake to exit valet mode. Details for single and multi button fobs are on their website
Thanks for reply, I just tried what you said and now it's "in" vallet mode so I guess that wasn;t the problem. I'm ready to rip this system out and have a new one installed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not sure what model you have but here’s the manual for the cm7200. Took a quick look and nothing jumped out at me that would explain not working after stereo install. Maybe bad or loose connector or splice got disturbed during install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
While I don't have a compustar system, once in a while my truck will do the same. It is always from strong radio interference from one of those cart pusher machines in a box store parking lot. I was told by the installer the remote start is seeing it as someone trying to hack the frequency so it goes in to fail safe mode. The truck Will crank and crank with the key and the remote start will not do anything.

What I have to do is "cycle the truck" as if I am starting it with the key and driving off. I Put my foot on the brake pedal, Crank the engine (it does not start), leave the key on, put the transmission in reverse, let off the brake, reapply the brake, put it in to drive, then reapply the brake and put it back in park and then shut the key off. Most times this works, sometimes I need to do it a 2nd or third time.

Again, I don't have a compustar, but, it's worth a shot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts