Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I've got a 2013 pro4x. It's cold as hell outside.

Thinking about a remote starter alarm. I'm not equipped to install something like this so I've found a place in town that does install.

That said, I was quoted $490 installed for a Directed XpressStart 5x10 with a 2way LCD remote.

Anyone have experience with these (any brand) being installed on a Nissan Frontier?

Things I think I understand...
1. The directed xpressstart kit is separate from the LCD remote. You add the remote as an accessory.
2. The guy on the phone didn't mention having to bypass a factory alarm, but I understand that is a separate accessory.

Are there realities with key fobs, chipped keys and the above remote start alarm that I haven't taken into account? Are they more worry than convenience? Is there a forum dedicated to remote starters/etc? There isn't a whole lot of information floating out there that isn't attached to some website trying to sell you something - at least my few quick google searches haven't been successful in finding one.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I can not be too much help as the truck I bought already had remote start installed. it is a compustar unit with 2 way remote (no lcd). I can tell you that I still have the factory alarm and FOB and it works. But I only use the compustar remote. This locks, unlocks, panic sets off the factory alarm, and starts the truck. The compustar fob works flawlessly just as the OEM key fob does.

·
Premium Member
6,402 Posts
Remote start is the best money I have ever spent on any vehicle. I jump in to a warm truck in the winter and a cool truck in the summer. I can leave my dog in the truck with the AC or heat on full blast while I run in to a store.

the fob for the remote start will work the doors and security system of your truck. You can leave the OEM fobs at home. The new fobs have many times the range the OEM ones do.

Spend the money on a "two way" system that shows you on the key fob that the engine is running. I got the one way kind and need to visually see or hear my truck to confirm it started.

Go for the pro install for sure. I had minor issues with mine and being able to pop back in to the shop for fixes was worth it's weight in gold.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wish I had a way to determine if truck is running on mine. My FOB is two way as it alerts me the truck was started, or that the door was locked or unlocked. Does this by a LED flash and little chime. But once the truck is running I have no way to tell if it's still running or not a few minutes later.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Weird, I was able to program a reminder on my 2 way, after 5 min my keyfob will start going crazy, phyton alarm.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Weird, I was able to program a reminder on my 2 way, after 5 min my keyfob will start going crazy, phyton alarm.
I think mine does this as well. I don't use the remote start often but one day I used it and a little while later the fob flashed and beeped. I took it as I hit a button by accident but it could have just alerted me that the truck was running. I will have to research my system more.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Looks like I'm going to start shopping around for one. What other 2-way remote start brands do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
338 Posts
My buddy is an installer and he just got VIPER stuff for his wife's vehicle. He likes them. I have compustar but was already on the truck. I remember compustar from when my other friend got it on his accord. It was really high end back then as I remember he paid a fortune for it and it was the first time I had seen a 2 way alarm/remote. He would always roll all his windows down by accident. Sucked when it rained.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had a Viper on my Dakota, works pretty well. Had a Compustar put on my '16 Pro4x and it is even better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sounds like it's between two systems for me...Viper 5906v and Compustar T11. Both awesome security + remote start systems. Now trying to decide which route I'd go with.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sounds like it's between two systems for me...Viper 5906v and Compustar T11. Both awesome security + remote start systems. Now trying to decide which route I'd go with.
Go with whichever has the best installer. Someone that will stand by their work and if any issues will take care of you.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Thread is over a month old so not sure what OP ended up with - get a smart remote starter with install. Have two Dronemobiles(Compustar) and they work just as good as the Viper (DEI).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ended up with a remote starter only. Kept the factory alarm.

Went with the viper 4806v. So far I like it. I need to go back in and see what the aux and function buttons do, though. It comes with a 2way led remote and a 1way remote.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts