Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember me? I had a total melt down. I had just bought my truck for $17k
2 weeks before, and I noticed my truck shifting...not hard... but i'll say abrupt from 1st to 2nd gear if I was driving really slow. Like if i'm looking for a parking space. Also it would act funny if I was in OD and smashed the throttle
to pass some one, it would get all shift happy, it didn'y know what gear it wanted to be in.

I asked everyone on here, and I got "stop crying baby, its a truck" and "Go ahead do it! light it on fire!" I did get some help tho, I learned about the disconnect my battirey and let the TCM learn my driving style. I thought that would help me but it was only me living in denial.

I just couldn't live with it any more! I called the dealer for the 3ed time on this issue. They finally told me to bring it in and sure enough The trany was JUNK!!!!

The scary thing is, I was onlt 4K miles from being out of warrenty! I'm so glad I would not settle for less then perfect from my truck. The transmission is $4300 WITH OUT LABOR !!!!!!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! I am glad that you are getting that replaced on warranty. That could have been ugly.
Yeah, I would be screwed! I definatly dont have $4k for the trany PLUS labor. I would have to take a loan to pay it or something. Or maybe trade it in and loose my a$$. I feel bad for someone, I'm sure that has happend.:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Now that I'm thinking about it, the transmission on my 350Z would clunk into first from second, every now and then while going really slow without stopping. Like if I would pull up to a stoplight and it would shift into second, but the person in front of me would creep up, so instead of stopping, I would let off the brake and CLUNK there's first! Same thing in parking lots. It did this both in auto and tiptronic mode. I wondered if it was a result of always driving in tiptronic mode. I did drive it HARD though. Maybe the transmission was turning to ****. It was out of warranty at the time, and I traded it in on the Fronty. Next Z will be a manual too.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
That would've been a major buzz kill dude. Im glad to see you got it all worked out. You were scary close to having to spend all that on your own.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, thanks. I got my rear diff replaced like 2 weeks after I got it. And now the tranny. What is concitered a Lemon? I know there is a lemon law, do you guys know what it is?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the lemon law applies to a problem that can't be repaired after three attempts by the dealership or garage. So if you had to change the rear differential 3 times and the problem still didn't go away. I am not a lawyer though...

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
That sucks, but at least it is paid for. Same thing happened to my friend's 2nd gen, but his was out of warranty, so he got it fixed enough to sell it

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had to get a new tranny before i hit 40k. Glad to hear you got it in before warranty was out!!
WOW!

was it 100% when you got it back? Im sure it a big job with many steps. Just wondering if there was any follow up work after.

Also what was your symptoms of the failed tranny?

·
Banned
6,781 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
what jerk would have said its a truck live with it??!!!...lol glad it worked out for you brother!!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
wow im glad you didn't listen to us and took it in because thats an expensive uh oh. glad it all worked out for you though and hope your truck is 100% when you get it back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts