~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've noticed GREAT improvements in performance by doing all of the following:

CAI
Custom Exhaust
Change out Fluids to 100% synthetics
Remove WOT restriction
SuperChips 87 Performance tune
2 degrees timing advance
+25 RPM idle increase (to handle better breathing)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I noticed more performance gains from the WOT removal than the SuperChips tuning. However the timing advance and a slight RPM increase (+25 RPM) did improve my idle quite a bit and I do notice a power increase across the whole power band but all the other changes made a LOT more difference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One recent addition to my arsenal of improvements was that I used CD2 oil detergent on my previous oil change with Mobil 1, 5W30 100% synthetic oil and it REMOVED a slight lifter knock at startup. I had a little bit of a sticky lifter.

When I recently changed that oil (and my rig only has 28K miles now) that oil was ABSOLUTELY FILTHY! That CD2 Oil detergent knocked down so much crud that it looked like the oil hadn't been changed in 20K miles!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My MOST RECENT change was to Valvoline 100% synthetic 5W 20 oil (and another container of CD2 to finish cleaning the CRUD!).

Here is what I have noticed:

Around town, I actually get about .3 - .5 MPG improvement. On the Freeway I see NO MPG improvement? Not sure what to make of that yet.

When I step on it hard now the thing runs like a scalded cat. I can tell there is some improvement with the thinner oil especially when the RPMs are over 3K. From there on up it runs even MORE like a scalded cat than it did before!

I've also noticed a little better idle now. I'm not sure if I can say that is to the thinner oil or if it is to getting so much of the CRUD out of the motor!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've used CD2 for many, many years and the stuff works! It is one of the few things that really, truly works!

One note of caution though, IF you have a motor that has some leaky seals you may not want to use this stuff. It actually cleans the motor enough that leaks can get worse. I've seen this in the past. It will clean out enough gum and varnish that any small leak can get worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next week, Pep Boys for a 100% TRANNY fluid replacement with Mobil 1 synthetic fluid. With the fluid replacement they will also be dropping the tranny pan, replacing the screen, and wiping any of the crud from the pan. $200 for the whole tranny fluid and screen replacement.

I'm expecting a small improvement in power after that as well.

Mileage

·
Registered
424 Posts
"Remove WOT restriction", maybe this is a stupid question, but what is the wot restriction, something a person could do at home?
WOT= wide open throttle. It is electronically controlled in the ECU (engine control unit). You need a 'tuner' (Bullydog or Super Chips type) to remove it.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
"Remove WOT restriction", maybe this is a stupid question, but what is the wot restriction, something a person could do at home?
He's talking about the Wide Open Throttle(WOT) restriction that all frontiers have from the factory. And it's a bad thing-you don't want it. What it means is even if your foot pedal is to the metal you still only get about 66% of your engine throttle body to open. This happens generally from 0-40mph. After that you will get true WOT. You can get this WOT restriction removed only with a tune, via a handheld tuner(superchip, hypertech, or bullydog) or custom tune via Uprev.

·
Registered
4 Posts
WOT= wide open throttle. It is electronically controlled in the ECU (engine control unit). You need a 'tuner' (Bullydog or Super Chips type) to remove it.
Are you sure one can do this with BullyDog? If so, can someone give a procedure? I found someone with one to do the 2* timing advance but they indicated "WOT restriction can only be removed through tuning via a handheld programmer or Uprev, but now you're looking at $300 for a new handheld tuner and $500 for Uprev."

I don't knowthis stuff at all. Is Bully not a programmer? I am very willing to pay the $25 they are asking for the 2* as I feel it will compliment my CAI and custom exhaust nicely but an added bonus would certainly be to remove the WOT restriction (I am assuming this is the same on the VQ40 Pathfinder as the Frontier).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tuners

Are these "tuners" permanently installed or connected to a port, data downloaded to the ECU, and then removed? Thank you in advance...T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.