Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2013 Frontier. 128,000 miles on it. Runs great. But runs better when I mix some mid-grade fuel with regular. Is this good? Bad? Does it matter? The difference, while not dramatic, is definitely noticeable and it's nice.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
how does it run better? are you getting more mpg? Unless your truck was tuned for a higher octane fuel where you could advance the timing. If not your just wasting money stick with 87. I ran 93 a couple times and noticed only a higher price at the pump.

all my statements are void if you are noticing engine knock with 87 octane.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
Did you change your plugs by 105,000 miles and use Iridium NGK plugs?
It should run just fine on regular, the computer should adjust the timing when needed. Will it harm anything, I doubt it but on the 4- 4.0 trucks I had none needed 89 octane. Do what you feel is best for you.

Clint

·
2020 Moderating
3,118 Posts
I am at 105,000 and have not changed plugs yet... I hope to do that soon, but no noticeable symptoms yet with a lot of highway mileage on the clock.

Not apples to apples, but on my old truck (2002 tacoma) pinging started around now, I started to upgrade to a higher octane to prevent pinging (the 2002 tacoma did not have same knock sensor technology that we have) , but ultimately when I changed the plugs, that solved the issue. Just an fyi.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Carbon build-up in the cylinders can raise the engine's minimum octane requirements somewhat. Have you verified the spark plugs are either OE or OE equivalent and the proper heat range? Too hot a plug can cause predetonation which will then cause the ECM to dial back timing, reducing performance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how does it run better? are you getting more mpg? Unless your truck was tuned for a higher octane fuel where you could advance the timing. If not your just wasting money stick with 87. I ran 93 a couple times and noticed only a higher price at the pump.

all my statements are void if you are noticing engine knock with 87 octane.
Not knocking but slightly pinging when accelerating sometimes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I go to either Shell or BP; local foreign car repair place got me sold on that awhile back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You shouldn't be pinging with 87 octane. Neither of my VQ40's ever ever did, and I run at sea level.

Having said that, are you sure your not mistaking a lifter click for pinging - because every VQ40 I have ever heard has noisy lifters.

Have you changed the spark plugs at around 100K? If you haven't that could be your issue. If you have, then you might want to try some techron for the injectors, or some seafoam to clean out the top end.

Have you noticed the mileage drop or any other symptoms. Probably stupid question, but have you checked for codes, including pending codes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts