Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the previous owner of my '03 managed to destroy his roof rack in the measley 23,000 miles he drove the thing. So now I need to refinish it. But I was thinking of going with either Line-X bedliner material or powder coating. Anyone tried this or have any thoughts?

The pro to powder coating is it can be done in different colors. I'd like to preserve the gunmetal silver. But the spray on bedliner is also very heavy duty, more available to me (rural Meridian, MS) and maybe cheaper (~$100).

Another neat application of the coatings would be using teflon type letters taped to the bars BEFORE application. This results in the letters sprayed just the same but raised and stand out. I did this on my Dodge with a Dodge logo on the bed and it looked really sharp. "CREW CAB" might also look pretty sweet done in this way.

I'll post some picks of what it looks like now shortly. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That carbon vinyl is a great look, I will definitely be using that somewhere on the truck. But for the roof rack I think I want something more durable.

I will have to search for powdercoating, I really would like that silver gun-metal look to be maintained! Pics on the way...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm sure you could almost replicate that OEM finish of the roof rack with a good PC shop. The local shop has 1000's of finishes with varying colors and textures, even metallics. I'm sure you could just go back to the stock look if you wanted too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess this is already sort of a powder coated texture stock, huh? I'm definitely trying to give the truck a little after market edge.

Right now I'm pulling the roof rack and going to clean-up the surface, maybe sand blast it if necessary. Line-X wants like $125 to do the work, I figure I need to find a lower offer or try doing this myself. Anyone have experience with the spray-on in a rattle-can?

The gator closest to my boat right now is finding LETTERS that are thick enough to be installed UNDERNEATH whatever coating I spray on and stand-out. The guy at Line-X showed me something thats about 1/8" teflon (or plastic) but won't bend to conform to the roof rack tube's curve...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
In my limited experience with the Duplicolor rattle-can spray in truck bed liner I didn't see it come out to anything like a Line-X or Rhino Liner type finish. It just doesn't have the thickness and texture. It is semi-durable and benefits from being easy for you to touch up yourself, but if you're going after that really nice texture and thickness that comes from the shops, I'd just let them do it.

There is also that Herculiner stuff you can roll on, but I've never personally used it before.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update...

Here are some pics of the original roof rack condition... where I started.

Soooo... I've started the project. First, I bought a spare Roof Rack (cuz I'm unsure how this thing will turn out!). I installed the new one and removed this one. Taking the thing apart was a jiff with two torx bits. I removed all the feet, and had the rough tubes sand blasted. Here's a look at the finish.

And what kinda shape the plastic was in...

So to clean up the roof rack "feet" and "claws" (the parts the attach to the truck and attach the horizontal tubes to the lengthwise tubes) I figured I'd give the Dupli-color Bed liner coating in a rattle-can a try!

I lightly sanded the parts with 180 grit, then cleaned off that that residue. I taped off a few parts here and there and started shooting them, four coats in all. I'd like to get you more pics but my Flickr account won't let me load anymore pictures for the month... so I'll work on that when time permits. But first imressions...

The color here looks very grey. That's just sunangle, they are actually a flat black. Look great and that pic captures the speckled finish. I am going to have the tubes of the rack professionally Line-X'd tomorrow or Monday, and I think this finish will match nicely.

The last step will be to add the letters along the side of the track. I'm working on different types of "stencils" that I can deliver to Line-X. They can spray the rack, then put the stencil in place and build-up the "CREW CAB" letters that I'm looking for in a thicker, shinier finish.

I am also considering adding color to the finish. Either Grey or Yellow to match the truck. Likely I won't alter the finish of the professionally coated tubes, but maybe these plastic trim pieces will get a shot of thin paint to add some contrast... We will see...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the roof rack is finished. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to give more details.

The main take aways I've got after just installing the roof rack... I'm very glad I did it. I had the four main bars of the rack line-x'd and then used spray on for the plastic feet. If I had to do it over, I would try and get the line-x shop to linex all the parts including the plastic feet. I would even take him the bug deflector and spray a stripe across the top of that, or perhaps the entire thing.

I actually have a second Roof rack. It is for sale in the Classified section if anyone wants to give this a chance. If you wanted I could probably get it Line-x'd for you for an extra $100, although I'm sure anyone could arrange this in their own hometown too!

Without further ado... more pics:

Once again, the roof rack after it had been sand blasted. Turns out this might have been an unnecessary step. I guess the guys like spraying Line-X right onto old paint..??

Then sprayed the plastic pieces with the can in this pic...

Struggled with figuring out a technique to restore the letters to the roof rack... I finally decided on this. I ordered a vinyl decal to use as a stencil. I taped each side off well and then rattle-canned on the silver to match my trucks color scheme. I think you could have also gotten away with painting to match your truck or painting dark-black for a subtle look.

And the roof rack finished and installed... Still a few changes might come over time, but I'm very satisfied.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow looks awesome. Where did you find the stencils.
Stroll down memory lane. This truck is with a lesser home now, I've moved onto an X since them.

Thanks for the reminder though! The stencil was a vinyl graphic I had a local shop print up. I would describe it as a vinyl "negative" of the letters. I just stuck the vinyl to the rack and sprayed it. Worked pretty well. I don't think the vinyl actually stuck to the rack so I had to tape it on. Easy enough to figure something out!

Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts