Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I should have posted this in the audio section instead, but I tried here first.

I tried searching, but any search that includes the word "noise" is pretty much hopeless (ie you get results for anyone trying to diagnose their rattles, etc) and searching "soundproofing" only turned up two threads that didn't help.

Has anyone tried soundproofing their truck in order to reduce the ambient driving noise? By ambient driving noise I primarily mean the sound of the tires and the wind noise from driving at highway speed.

I was thinking the way to go is to buy some Dynamat type sound dampening material to apply to various places. The most obvious and easiest is probably the door frames, then possibly the A-pillars. I would think the last places would be the floor boards and the roof liner (only last because of difficult, not because of effectiveness).

Here are a couple questions directed at anyone who has tried this and/or has some experience with sound dampening...

1) Is there anything else cheap/easy I can do to reduce this type of noise (excluding buying quieter tires)? By this I'm primarily wondering if there are any gaps that can be closed or a product to apply to the inside of the wheel wells that would redirect some of the tire noise...

2) Did I miss anything major on the inside of the cab?

3) I've never worked with this stuff before, so I'm looking for suggestions on material to use… I don't know that I need anything high end; I suppose I'm going for the budget or bang for my buck lines. Anyone have anything they suggest? Also where is the best (cheapest) place to buy it is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I would first spend a little time trying to isolate where the noise is primarily coming from, you'll probably find the doors and behind rear seat to be the worst and work on that. This will help but then you will find that other places that weren't that noisy will seem to be louder like the floor and roof, firewall area as well. I use peel and seal that you can get from lowes or roofing supply houses, it is a little thinner than dynamat so I apply 2 layers sometimes more in louder places. A roll is 36" by 33' and costs about $75-80. My BMW has 2 full rolls and lots of poly fill (pillow material). I use the poly fill in hard to get places that you can stuff it into. People use to use fiberglass insulation because it is cheap but the itching and non waterproofness of it makes it not worth it. You will have to take the whole thing apart to do this so the best time is when you are doing a system but if it is just to sound deaden I guess anytime will do.

Hope this helps. It has done wonders for me.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Clean the rocks out of your tires. Check your tire pressure. My tires seem to be loud when they are low on air.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts