Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the groups experiences with Ironman4x4 vs Habitat Offroad rated recovery points?
IM4x4: $139/pr Hab: $199/pr
The WAM winch mount is also an option...it's only +$100 more than the habitat points and it has recovery points as well as a winch mount.
The Habitat OR seem thicker and attaches with 3 points of contact. However Ironman4x4 is a well known parts company in Australia so I doubt they would produce junk. (P&P engineering never has has anything in stock so they aren't on the list)

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
I haven't done any hard pulling on the recovery points on my WAM winch mount, but, I was never really fond of how they attach. They are not the full depth of the mount, just welded tabs on the front. I'm at work, so I cannot get a picture to post. The entire mount is well constructed and the welds are fine, just an engineering thing I wasn't 100% pleased with.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What are the groups experiences with Ironman4x4 vs Habitat Offroad rated recovery points?
Thank you for this. When I researched front recovery points last year I found only one person making them and they had none currently available. I added a second front OEM tow hook, but that is a sub-optimal solution.

I liked the look and price of the Ironman4x4, but their website wigged me out. I could not tell exactly what was in the kit, and it seemed to want me to enter a lot of info before showing me a price. So I ordered the Habitat Offroad kit. It was $20 extra for two shackles, so I added those to the order.

Probably won't mount them right away. I broke a socket last year trying to get the factory tow hook off, so I'll need to research tools next.

·
Registered
688 Posts
...I broke a socket last year trying to get the factory tow hook off, so I'll need to research tools next.
I had to use a pipe on the end of my ratchet to bust the bolts loose (on a brand new rig). Soak the things in a penetrating lube (I use Corrosion X) prior to trying.

FYI: I ended up ordering a Navarra tow hook from Thornton Breakers in the UK. Ran $80 ($60 of it was shipping!!) but it'll work until I end up skidding out the bottom. Then I'll figure out what options are available at that time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would highly recommend the OEM recovery point and the Navarra OEM point for the right side. It works great, I don't see a reason to be fancy here. I have pulled several vehicles out with it. You can put a strap directly on the hook which helps reduce the amount of metal in the pull. Less is more.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would highly recommend the OEM recovery point and the Navarra OEM point for the right side. It works great, I don't see a reason to be fancy here. I have pulled several vehicles out with it. You can put a strap directly on the hook which helps reduce the amount of metal in the pull. Less is more.
I don't really trust the factory tow hook on any vehicle. (see video below for an example of frontier hook failure)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't really trust the factory tow hook on any vehicle. (see video below for an example of frontier hook failure)
Huh. First I have heard of it. Can you confirm what part of the hook failed? Seeing as its the right side (not stock installed) there are a whole bunch of reasons that could come into play.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Seeing as its the right side (not stock installed)
The passenger (right) side is the OEM location in the US.

Can you confirm what part of the hook failed?
At the 11 second mark it looks to me like the entire hook is on the ground. (I actually bought one of these and held it in my hand, so am familiar with how they look unmounted.) From that I infer the bolts gave out.

They are bolted to the frame with two bolts pointing straight up. I am not an engineer, but I believe this means the bolts failed in sheer rather than tension.

(EDIT: the rear receiver hitch is also mounted with bolts pointed straight up, but there are six of them total. So when using the hitch as a recovery point, you have 3 times the number of bolts attaching that thing the the frame.)

I don't think the hooks were designed with off-road recovery in mind. They stick down quite a bit, so put increased leverage on the bolts. They seem mostly like a tie-down point for transport.

The aftermarket recovery points I ordered have three bolts, rather than two. Looks like they use the two OEM tow hook bolt holes, plus a 3rd bolt hole that is at a right angle to that. So the the 3rd bolt points towards the front of vehicle in the direction of tow. The aftermarket recovery points also sit more flush with the frame, so impart less leverage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Huh. First I have heard of it. Can you confirm what part of the hook failed? Seeing as its the right side (not stock installed) there are a whole bunch of reasons that could come into play.
Nope....it's not my video so I can't confirm anything about the failure.

I also don't suggest you stand anywhere near a recovery holding your infant...… Jesus....
oh I know...that video (It's NOT my video) is super cringe-worthy from a safety standpoint

The passenger (right) side is the OEM location in the US.

(EDIT: the rear receiver hitch is also mounted with bolts pointed straight up, but there are six of them total. So when using the hitch as a recovery point, you have 3 times the number of bolts attaching that thing the the frame.)

I don't think the hooks were designed with off-road recovery in mind. They stick down quite a bit, so put increased leverage on the bolts. They seem mostly like a tie-down point for transport.

The aftermarket recovery points I ordered have three bolts, rather than two. Looks like they use the two OEM tow hook bolt holes, plus a 3rd bolt hole that is at a right angle to that. So the the 3rd bolt points towards the front of vehicle in the direction of tow. The aftermarket recovery points also sit more flush with the frame, so impart less leverage.
Based on your description it sounds like you purchased the habitat offroad recovery points (they have a similar design with the three bolts) or another brand with a similar design. How do you like them? Have you experienced any issues?

Regarding using the hitch as a recovery point, it works GREAT. I have used it a few times (I have a recovery shackle hitch.....obviously NOT using the tow ball) and it's performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I also don't suggest you stand anywhere near a recovery holding your infant...… Jesus....
First thing I noticed as well. Yikes. I guess some people just can't comprehend how dangerous recovery can actually be.

Seeing a shackle failure prompted me to instantly ditch the couple metal shackles I had for soft shackles.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Another thing to consider is the slight downward angle of the pull. When you put angles on fasteners and hooks, you get away from the shear load and get in to tearing forces.

·
Registered
83 Posts
it sounds like you purchased the habitat offroad recovery points ... How do you like them?
Yes, the Habitat Offroad. Haven't gotten them yet. I only ordered them 2 days ago, based on this thread, LOL.

At the 11 second mark it looks to me like the entire hook is on the ground. (I actually bought one of these and held it in my hand, so am familiar with how they look unmounted.) From that I infer the bolts gave out.
I had another thought about this. Based on what we can see in the video, it's possible the hook itself broke longitudinally along the base that touches the frame.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yeah, when you stop the vid after the break, and enlarge the frame, it looks like the hook is whole. I'ma guess sheared bolts.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
The WAM winch mount is also an option...it's only +$100 more than the habitat points and it has recovery points as well as a winch mount.
The Habitat OR seem thicker and attaches with 3 points of contact. However Ironman4x4 is a well known parts company in Australia so I doubt they would produce junk. (P&P engineering never has has anything in stock so they aren't on the list)
Just wondering, did you give P&P a call to see about stock?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Got my recovery points in the mail today. Haven't tried installing them yet (maybe a project for this weekend), but here are some pictures comparing an OEM tow hook to a Habitat Offroad recovery point:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Beefy.😎

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Got my recovery points in the mail today. Haven't tried installing them yet (maybe a project for this weekend), but here are some pictures comparing an OEM tow hook to a Habitat Offroad recovery point:
Those look good... I might have to upgrade my setup (y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts