Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm looking at getting a 9 foot kayak soon and I'm trying to figure out the best way to haul it in the bed of my Frontier. I've got a 2016 four door, with utili track, no static tie downs, and a bed extender.

So far I was thinking that I could put two of my anchors in the 'back' of the bed (closest to the cab), put the tailgate and bed extender down, put the boat in the bed so that the front rested on top of the bed extender, run cord/rope/etc through a handle at the front of the boat, and secure the rope/cord/etc to the anchors on either side.

The real issue I'm running into is that this is my first truck and I've never tied anything down, have no experience with what should/shouldn't work and the last thing I need is a boat coming out on the interstate...

Would love suggestions, recommendations, and so on. Pics of your rig/set up would be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
9ft is pretty short for a kayak. If it were me, i'd drop the tailgate, remove the bed extender, lay the kayak in there flat, and strap it down snuggly with a rachet strap using the cleats in the bottom rails.

you can also do something like this with shorter kayaks.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
No need for anything fancy for a 9ft kayak. I've had three 10 footers in the bed of mine. This is a pic from this past weekend, I take out my bed extender and use one of those cinch straps and hook one end to the inside lip of the kayak and the other end to a hook on the front corner of the utilirack. I'd recommend against a ratchet strap, it's easy to apply a lot of force with them and you really don't need it for this application.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a Crew shorty- and was fine hauling 10 footers. However this spring I bought a 12'6" Kayak and it was fun getting it home in the bed. I got a deal for a Thule Aerobar Rack that someone here had for sale, and bought the Thule folding Kayak attachments. It has proven its worth.
The Thule rack itself is not cheap- retails for $500, plus the Attachment for Kayak.

Yesterday I saw a Tacoma Crew Shorty haulin 2 kayaks out of his bed- both nose down in bed and tail up and over the tailgate. They looked huge and towered into the sky- think they were bigger that 10 footers. Don't know how he pulled that one off-keeping then down... too much up in the air over the tailboard.

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey folks,

I'm looking at getting a 9 foot kayak soon and I'm trying to figure out the best way to haul it in the bed of my Frontier. I've got a 2016 four door, with utili track, no static tie downs, and a bed extender.
You've probably figured out your problem by now, but I'll offer my bit.

I've been hauling canoes and kayaks on and in Nissans for over twenty years now. For your situation, open the tailgate and bed extender. Slide the boat in so the leading point is drivers side, the remainder resting on the passengers's side of the bed extender. One solid bungee over the boat at the bed extender. Unless you're in a tropical storm it aint goin' anywhere. If you wish to feel more secure tie the forward section loosely to a cleat or throw a gear bag on it.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I have a 10' kayak in a 6' bed. I jsut throw it in like this. 2 cleats, one on each side of the top track near the tailgate. Ratcheting or friction lock strap around the tip grab handle loop. I have a camper shell so I don't worry about the other end. If I had an open bed and going far/fast. I would simple carabiner the cab side to a cleat or run a 2nd strap across the middle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 9-10 foot Vibe and just put it in the bed at an angle and use a couple of ratchet straps. Don't have to crank down on them, just snug them.

I also pop out one of the scupper holes and run a cable through it and padlock it if I'm gonna be going in a store or stopping for lunch. Maybe overkill, but at least might stop some crackhead from taking making a quick buck off of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts