Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sub died after 3 years of troublefree use. I had a Rockford Phase 2 4 ohm dual voice coil 10" sub in a supercrewsound box. It was run with a Rockford punch 300w mono amp. I checked and both voice coils are open.

I haven't been in the market for a while so don't know whats good anymore. Looking for a 300w capable sub with no more than 5.5 inch mounting depth .7 cub/ft air volume that is under $150.

Quick search came back with a JL 10W1v2

Any other suggestions I should check out?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i made a list of subs. you can search for my user name or search for subs. UN will probably be easiest. its been a while so be prepared to search for a few min.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm a fan of Image Dynamics, here's their ID10d2 v.3, 5.5" mounting depth and right around what you wanna pay ;)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Ive got a Pioneer Shallow mount 12" sub that sounds awesome and if I remember correctly should fall into that price range.

EDIT: Here are some pics...

The box was built by Tech12Volts, hes a site sponsor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
my friend has a jlw1 but its a 12 but i think it sounds really good. imo they have great products and really good customer service

·
Registered
257 Posts
JL has been very good at marketing. If you can find an older 10W1 I believe that will rock you well and sound good, but after having multiple 10W0s and 10W1s I would not purchase another 10W0.

Spelvin's 1998 Toyota Tacoma on CarDomain - Page 6

That was in a previous ride when I was much younger and much more ignorant.

I am guessing you were running the punch at 2 Ohm mono I never really got into Rockford, but what does it run RMS at 4 ohms?

Currently I am a fan of Elemental Designs and Diamond Audio.
Elemental Designs
but that unit has Dual 2 ohm coils so you are looking at either a mono 4 Ohm or 1 Ohm load which is not always the best config.

or something like this:

Diamond Audio Technologies - D110.2 10" Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer

Diamond Audio D110D4 10" Subwoofer Dual 4 Ohms New! - eBay (item 180303375514 end time Aug-27-09 15:14:43 PDT)

Also the ID10 listed by Danny is nice but the close mounting depth would scare me.

What type of music do you listen to?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the Punch 4 ohm DVC sub wired in parallel to get 2 ohms.

The rockford amp I am running is 150w rms at 4ohms and 300w rms at 2 ohms.

I went ahead and decided on trying out the JL10w1v2 at 4 ohms and we'll see how it goes. I don't need killer bass anyways I normall had the sub-output from my head unit turned down anyways.

I listen to rock and metal so a clean crisp bass is better than a distorted thump.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would have gone with at least a w3, but it doesnt fit into the profile you're looking for. Either way, you'll like JL Audio's stuff... my 10w7 pounded strong for 6-7 years years until i sold it. Never a problem...and my 10w3's lasted over 4 years in 3 different cars until i sold them also. I'm very impressed by the durability of their subs...especially with all the abuse i've put them through.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You'll find me crazy and probably laugh when you read the following words:

Sony Xplod.

Yeah, I've settled on those speakers for those that are either on a budget or just want something that works.

Yes, sony has had their shi**y line of xplod speakers, but lately I've been running two black 300Watt RMS/1100max 10" Sony xplods in a sealed box at almost the exact nominal cubic feat required per sub... those speakers POUND... they don't overheat, ever.... ever.. ever. . you can't smell the coils or plastic crap in the woofer's design like many of the big brand subs. Sounds superb, takes a beating, physically rugged and tough... 4 years I've been running sony xplod speakers, zero problems. Just put em in the box they were built for and you'll be absolutely impressed. Powered by an Xplod 1200watt/550RMS amp; which also doesn't fail me or even get nearly warm.

Sound good, they impress all the friends, especially my buddy who spent $700 on 800w RMS 12" Volvenhaug (er whatever) dual speakers and amps.. he suggest my $200 sound system sounds much better and shows off the music the way it should have been heard, no matter the genre. Also, it's like they never bottom out or make icky noises when over-powered, they just cut off like logitech's z5500 speakers are designed, and it takes a LOTT of bang to have that happen.

Not braggin'... just sayin' :) Those subs don't xplod... they just keep on rockin smooth and powerful.

·
Registered
346 Posts
JL has been very good at marketing.
Yes, their marketing department is pure genius. Their stuff is good, but not great. Their subs are decent (yes I've owned many pairs) and heard countless setups with JL subs. The only one that I can remember that impressed me was a 13w7 in a slot ported box powered by a JL 1000/1 in an extended cab Dakota. Holy crap the bass was so intense it felt like I was levitating out my seat, then I had a migraine the rest of the day haha.
Also the ID10 listed by Danny is nice but the close mounting depth would scare me.
You can remove the magnet cover and lose 3/8" depth :thumbsup:
I would have gone with at least a w3, but it doesnt fit into the profile you're looking for. Either way, you'll like JL Audio's stuff... my 10w7 pounded strong for 6-7 years years until i sold it. Never a problem...and my 10w3's lasted over 4 years in 3 different cars until i sold them also. I'm very impressed by the durability of their subs...especially with all the abuse i've put them through.
Which W3's? The V3's are the only ones worth anything and they're WAY overpriced. My 10W3V2's were for SH*T, the foam surround crap kept rotting and separating :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts