Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never took mine in to be fix. I live in Tenn. and rust is not a bad problem. The joint in question likes new and I keep it oiled. Does anyone think I'm making a mistake and do you think its too late to be fixed by a dealer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I never took mine in to be fix. I live in Tenn. and rust is not a bad problem. The joint in question likes new and I keep it oiled. Does anyone think I'm making a mistake and do you think its too late to be fixed by a dealer?
That should be it looks new.

·
Registered
884 Posts
From the NHTSA:
Are there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge?
Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense – and eliminate unnecessary safety risks.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have no idea if the steering on my 2004 was ever done; certainly not since I got it in 2011.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Thank you Butterman; my VIN is covered by this recall. I'll be contacting the local Nissan dealer.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Phoned, dealer will order parts for the steering shaft corrosion recall repair for me. Says it will take about 1.5 hours to do the job (I'd have to wait there due to distance to dealer). I asked service guy if he'd EVER seen any corrosion of this part here in Arizona (likely same in San Antonio), and he replied "no".

So they said they'd call me when parts arrive, and maybe by then I'll decide if I want to proceed and get this done.

Anyone here ever had an issue because they didn't do the 2002-2004 Steering column corrosion recall repair???
Manufacturer Recall Number R1037
NHTSA Recall Number 10V-554
My own 2004 frontier is listed as being one of the "affected".
Or anyone have this recall repair done???
Service in Arizona told me today that he's never seen any corrosion there on any Frontiers in this area.

Yes, I know these situations are "ripe" for service to suggest repairs and maintenance, to bring in $$$. My mom had an old Cadillac that was repaired on a recall, and Cadillac service told her there was a coolant leak and the entire dashboard would need to come apart to fix, a $3000 repair. She called me, and I asked how big the coolant puddle was, and how often she needed to add coolant, and her response was "none". So I had her take the Cadillac to local shop I use, and they tightened a hose clamp to fix it and charged her nothing.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
butterman2473 did you have this recall repair done on your 2004? If so, is 1.5 hours for the repair pretty true, or did it take longer? Thx.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like mine hasn't been done, I'll call the dealer and see what they say, wonder if they'll install my steering stabilizer since they'll be in the area anyway...

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
When I got my 2003 Frontier three years ago, I checked for open recalls and it still had open recalls for the steering joint and the fuel sending unit (which was actually replaced with an aftermarket part a year prior. I called the dealer, made an appointment and they ordered the parts. I dropped it off and they gave me a ride to the local mall. About 4 hours later, I gave them a call to pick me up and my vehicle was done when I got there. They replaced both, no charge and no questions asked. It is a safety recall and since it doesn't cost anything, in my opinion, it doesn't make sense to not get it done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
butterman2473
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing