Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On our way home last night, I got rear-ended. My wife, baby, and myself weren't hurt but the lady that hit me was taken to get checked out.

I had stopped quickly because some retard in front of me stopped at a green light. I hit the brakes and stopped a few feet short of the car in front of me but got hit from behind. I'm not sure how fast she was going and why she wasn't able to stop but she was very nice and more concerned about my family than herself. After the police took down our info and she was taken in the ambulance, they gave me the report number and said I could leave.

I only got one picture at the scene but took a few more after getting home. The bumper and hitch took the most of it but the frame it bent pretty well. I took it slow going home and didn't notice it driving any different. I'll see what the insurance company says but might have to wait till Tuesday because I doubt they're open on memorial day.

Passenger side frame

Driver side frame

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Im thinking thats trashed. Bent chassis rails are a show stopper
If my old eyes done deceive me it looks a little like its bent up behind the cab so the back of the tub is hanging down.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Anything can be "fixed" if you wanted to spend as much, but insurance companies don't see it that way. However, it seems it did what it was supposed to in a collision, as is all vehicles today to protect the cabin bay. Glad y'all are ok. If people we to pay attention like they should driving (IE the lady who hit you) we'd all be better off.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Agree with above, the gap between the bed and the cab looks wider. Frame straighteners will pull the frame back into alignment. About $3,000 in damage.
Another example of why all of us should have the hitch installed in the receiver.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I seem to remember seeing a thread where a guy had a hitch installed and hooked to a horse trailer and the same thing happened. I always thought that area looked a little weak when I had my frontier. Glad to hear everyone was ok though. Best of luck getting it worked out.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
12,317 Posts
Glad you're all ok and the truck absorbed the impact and not the occupants.
I disagree about a draw bar in the receiver as that puts the hit directly in the frame as opposed to be distributed across the whole bumper.

CLINT

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Agree with above, the gap between the bed and the cab looks wider. Frame straighteners will pull the frame back into alignment. About $3,000 in damage.
Another example of why all of us should have the hitch installed in the receiver.
that damage is going to be a lot more than $3k. i bet its going to be above $5k.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Same thing happened to my Titan. They ended up totaling it because per nissan, the frame had to be replaced (meaing to get it back to where it would be a warranted vehicle and withstand another impact of the same magnitude). That is what I was told anyways. It was an 05 LE 4x4 CC that had 83k miles on it. This was back in winter '08.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been thinking about what I need to do if they do end up totaling it. I filed a claim online with USAA but their office was closed today so I am expecting a call tomorrow morning. I'll call the dealer as well to setup an appointment for an estimate. I have been really satisfied with their work and service up until now.

I already removed all of my personal stuff but was wondering if I should remove anything I have added to the truck like my clarion headunit, locking lug nuts, undercover tonneau, ultilitrac cleats, bed extender, and power inverter. If they do total it I would definitely be getting another frontier and could use everything on it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
all these rear-endings seem to be in non-lifted trucks w/ tow hitches.

so what happens if someone rear-ends a lifted fronty w/ no tow hitch? less damage?

it kinda seems like alot of people are getting frame damage

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Depending on how much you lifted it .
In theory it wouldnt take much for the rear of the truck to side over the front of a small car and maybe less damage

·
Registered
428 Posts
Glad you and the family are ok. Hopefully this all gets worked out quickly.

Most people who get in accident will get frame damage, its designed that way. We have very strong frames but there are still bend points on them. Notice in the pics, the frame bent at that hole. The whole truck, like all modern vehicles, is designed to collapse and crinkle at specific points to absorb the collision and protect the passenger space. really, a tow hitch does not really affect anything anymore, the truck will still bend. The only difference is how the other vehicle will look.

Modern vehicles are designed to injure you, to save your life. All of that energy and force has to pass through you at some point. Modern cars put that force through you in a controlled way.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
15,335 Posts
all these rear-endings seem to be in non-lifted trucks w/ tow hitches.

so what happens if someone rear-ends a lifted fronty w/ no tow hitch? less damage?

it kinda seems like alot of people are getting frame damage
I don't think the lift has anything to do with damage to the frame if the trailer hitch is hit. My truck is lifted and the same frame damage happened to mine. Cost me $1000 to get the frame straightenend and the box fixed (some of the mounting bolts ripped right out). I never replaced the bumper.

I think these frame damages are worse with the trailer hitches - the mount points are just in front of where the the shock perches are located - where the frame bends down to mount the bumper and hitch.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks like they will be totaling it out. The inspector came and looked at it on Tuesday and called me today to let me know. I guess I will be on the lookout for another frontier. Maybe Ill go for a NISMO / PRO-4X this time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
NISMO NISMO NISMO!!!!

if you have any aftermarket parts... take them off now.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Glad your family is ok, just went through this myself, tho I was not hit quite as hard. I cant imagine how fast the other driver had to be going to do this. Crazy. Also, not sure if your child was in a car seat, but by Ca law if the child was IN the seat at the time of the accident, it is now worthless and her insurance owes you a new one.

Good luck on your search for a new vehicle. I would take my child the Dr. for a check up regardless. Hope it all ends well!

James

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.