Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Rear window defroster

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Iringtwice 
#1 ·
Had to replace the rear window on my 2017 Frontier. It did not have the optional rear defroster but the new glass does. How hard is it to make that work. Is that already wired and I just have to hook it up or do I have to wire it? Thxs!

#2 ·
It needs (or is supposed) to work off of a timer, which I would assume is in the BCM. I'd be surprised if you could just plug'n'play it. There likely isn't a wire to plug into. Now, could you rig something up to make it work? You could. You would want it to shut off with a switch as well as a key. It draws a pretty decent load, so you'll want to make sure you use the proper wire gauge (I would think it's at least 12-gauge). I would run a fused line from the battery to the switch side of a 1M relay and the other side to the defroster grid. I would run a fused circuit (14 gauge wire) from an ignition-controlled, power source to the solenoid side of the 1M relay. On the exit side of the 1M relay solenoid, I would run the wire to the switch and the other side of the switch to a chassis ground. If you could find a switch with an LED light it in tow indicated when it's powered-up, that would be nice. The only draw-back to this is that there is no timer, so you would have to remember when to turn it off.

Reactions: Iringtwice
#4 · (Edited)
As far as I'm aware, none of the slider windows come with a defrogger. No frogs here.
SMJs plan sounds to be solid, I would perhaps spend a few extra bucks and get a timer relay, if you can find one. They shut themselves off after a period of time regardless of what other inputs are going on. Here's a few options all the way up to pricey, but gives you the idea anyway. A momentary ON switch triggers the cycle to begin. I'd prob try Option 1.

Reactions: Iringtwice
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.