Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question: is there a way to activate the lockers while I'm in rear wheel drive?

Disclaimer: I am not sure I'd even want to do this, or why. Maybe drifting in a snowy/muddy field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Reactions: 42midNight

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I did the mod when I first bought my truck. But basically it is worthless other than the situation you described: pure HOONING. Since open diff 4wd is FAR superior to RWD locked, you never are in a situation where it will be beneficial to be lock in 2wd when you can go 4wd. I however still have this mod in place and can think of one situations where I can come in handy: your 4wd no longer works. Bust a front diff/cv. T-case actuator issues and it prevents you from going into 4wd. You can at least have a locker in the rear.

I did the relay mod, as it was the first one to be developed. One benefit of going this route is that if you engage your locker in the factory method, you get ABS off. I often engage the locker in 4low just to have no ABS when I am on ice, and drive around in 5/6 gear. The 2nd mod, the "jumper" method, tricks the computer and allows engagement anytime but does not think it is engaged. Thus it does not turn off any of the traction ninnies.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, this is awesome! I think the ability to access the locker if there was an issue with 4wd would be a good trick to have of ever needed. Much appreciated

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
i love my trutrac, just wish the wheels would hold when one leaves the ground.
THe first gen pathfinders (with the trispoke starship wheels) had a limited slip diff; "LSD" sticker on the diff. Wanting to test it out we jacked up one wheel off the ground with a wheeled floor jack. Drove forward in 2wd and the one wheel on the ground was able to power the truck forward. Placed a 2x4 in front of the wheel and the truck could not climb the 1.5" lip and move forward. Found the limit of the limited slip.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THe first gen pathfinders (with the trispoke starship wheels) had a limited slip diff; "LSD" sticker on the diff. Wanting to test it out we jacked up one wheel off the ground with a wheeled floor jack. Drove forward in 2wd and the one wheel on the ground was able to power the truck forward. Placed a 2x4 in front of the wheel and the truck could not climb the 1.5" lip and move forward. Found the limit of the limited slip.

I always wondered if this method would work! I would have expected the jack to get caught and topple. Good to know

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I always wondered if this method would work! I would have expected the jack to get caught and topple. Good to know

Smooth concrete driveway. Only drove a foot or 2. Jacked off the axle so no suspension drop. Wheel 2" off the ground, so no issue if it did topple.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
i love my trutrac, just wish the wheels would hold when one leaves the ground.
do you have Traction Control? it should provide enough drag to get the TT to really grunt.

sounds like the LSD was wore out (assuming it was a clutch-style LSD) did you happen to open it up & service it? I had a clutch type LSD in my old GMC and it worked a hellof alot better than that...

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
do you have Traction Control? it should provide enough drag to get the TT to really grunt.

sounds like the LSD was wore out (assuming it was a clutch-style LSD) did you happen to open it up & service it? I had a clutch type LSD in my old GMC and it worked a hellof alot better than that...

I don’t have any traction control. I may not have it, or the two abs codes that the trucks been throwing since I bought it may be stopping it. Either way I like it better without.

My major regret is removing my e brake lol, I think that would help a lot off-road getting the two wheels turning. I’ve been wanting to go back but I would have to source the swap all over again hahah

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Most OE nissan LSD are of the viscous fluid type. THey don't wear out easily. I have a R200 in one of my cars and it is capable of laying down "11"s but not much more.

So you got me curious and I did some more reading. During the old pathfinder test we did not aggressively spin the tire that was up in the air, nor was the diff fluid hot. Both of these points could have effected how well the VLSD works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts