Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on in awhile. But, I was hoping someone might know the answer.

I've replaced all my suspension with all new rubber. Everything is MOG parts. For the rear suspension I've only done the sway bar (Bushings and Link). I'll be replacing the leaf spring bushings soon or anything else ya'll may suggest. The issue I'm having is the rear sway bar is shifting to the passengers side. The links have 90 degree grease fitting on them and rub on the leaf spring. I purchased new grease fittings that aren't as big from Tractor Supply and swapped out the bottom ones that were rubbing on the leafs. That solution worked for about a week. The sway bar has shifted again and squeaks.

Any idea why it is shifting to that passengers side? My only thought is maybe I have to re-measure ride height and possibly tweak the torsion bars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My other thought of what it might be is the leaf spring bushing are worn out and causing the springs to shift side to side.

Does anyone have any guesses of what it may be?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Were the sway bar grease fittings rubbing on the leaf springs before you changed them?

Can you post a picture or 2 of whats going on?

Are all first gen frontiers supposed to have sway bars in the rear?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Were the sway bar grease fittings rubbing on the leaf springs before you changed them?

Can you post a picture or 2 of whats going on?

Are all first gen frontiers supposed to have sway bars in the rear?
No, only some of them have rear sway bars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The original rear sway bar links didn’t have grease fitting. I opted to have everything that I replaced greasable. My truck is a Desert Runner. That might be why mine has a rear sway bar.
Attached are the pictures showing the bar having no clearance on the passengers side. The bottom 90* grease fitting is now missing. Can’t tell if it spun or broke off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The original rear sway bar links didn’t have grease fitting. I opted to have everything that I replaced greasable. My truck is a Desert Runner. That might be why mine has a rear sway bar.
Attached are the pictures showing the bar having no clearance on the passengers side. The bottom 90* grease fitting is now missing. Can’t tell if it spun or broke off. View attachment 310407 View attachment 310408
Personally I'd take the sway bar off, as that's what I did on mine. Mine is not a desert runner but is set up pretty similar in the rear with the leaves under the axle (I think maybe all the 2wd are like this).
However, I'm guessing after you've spent money on the links and such you're wanting to keep it installed. Hard to tell if it's just the angles of your pics, but your driver side the sway bar looks to be more bent in, whereas the passenger side looks more straight. Another way to say is the short run along the leaf pack looks more parallel to the leaves on passenger side and not so parallel on the driver side, hopefully that makes sense. Whether that's true or not, putting a little more bend in it would bring it in away from the leaves and might solve your problem. I realize there are other angles involved but your end link can move around a bit so it's got a chance of working. Other than that can you shift it back where you need it and put a hose clamp over rubber on the bar just inside the mount to try to keep it from sliding again?
These are solutions from a simpleton for sure, but no one else was talking, so...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts