Nissan Frontier Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
In turns or sudden evasive manuevers at speed. There is a lot of body roll and lean. Can be dangerous.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
its all about handling. sign me up. so i asked this somewhere else i think, but are just the brackets going to be for sell? and if so, what model year is the swaybar from? if you dont want to post that publically, pm me. i can keep it on the DL.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Has anyone considered the fact that when you add a sway-bar to the rear it makes the suspension less compliant? Further, the truck has a large front sway bar to handle the vehicle stability; therefore, a rear bar will make the rear more prone to step-out.

I am not trying to piss in anyones Cheereo's here, but adding a sway bay doesnt just bring benefits to the table.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
sleepy23 said:
its all about handling. sign me up. so i asked this somewhere else i think, but are just the brackets going to be for sell? and if so, what model year is the swaybar from? if you dont want to post that publically, pm me. i can keep it on the DL.

i am exploring the method on making a thicker then factory bar at the moment -

unibager said:
Has anyone considered the fact that when you add a sway-bar to the rear it makes the suspension less compliant? Further, the truck has a large front sway bar to handle the vehicle stability; therefore, a rear bar will make the rear more prone to step-out.

I am not trying to piss in anyones Cheereo's here, but adding a sway bay doesnt just bring benefits to the table.
what do you mean less compliant? it stabalizes body roll in the rear, something the vehicle needs -

a rear sway bar will not make the rear more prone to "stepping out" it will reduce the amount of body roll by transfering energy from one wheel/frame rail to the other side thus traveling the energy back and forth - this effect is not a negative one, yet a positive one.

·
Registered
509 Posts
without a rear sway bar you get weight transfer onto the outside wheel which gives you less pressure and less traction on the inside wheel.

however if you fit a stiff rear sway bar you can actually lift the rear inside wheel clean off the road.

make sure you test it well, see how it handles on the ragged edge. quite important for those with modded suspension. last thing you want is to do an emergency manoeuvre to avoid some idiot and have a rear wheel off the ground.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
My old Ranger came with one stock. I put Bilstein shocks on it and the handling was unbelievably better. I got a touch of "step" at extreme turns but I would take that any day over the body roll this truck has (even with Bilsteins). A sway bar should be standard on the NISMOs, WTF Nissan?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Really! You want a rear sway bar on an "Off Road" truck. I dont know about the all of you, but I did not buy my NISMO to race on the stree

Oops, I meant street. Sereously though, it seems that everyone wants there truck to do something it was not designed to do; I ask, why buy the vehicle if it isnt fitting the bill?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Just so ya know..... my NISMO is 2WD. :nana:
Even if I had a 4WD truck I would like to have one since it spends most of its time on the road anyway.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
mines 2wd Nismo also. I only bought mine because the wife wanted an altima, so i had to sell my car and get a truck so I could haul stuff for home projects. the most offroading i am going to do with a new truck is driving thru the grass to haul lumber down to the basment shop. Sign me up for street handling.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Yes sir! I got mine used a 2005 with only 12K on her for $19K out the door at Napa Nissan. I love it. I had a 4WD Frontier and only used it in snow anyway so I wanted a 2WD this time around. Yes, street handling is a must.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Maybe I am being offensive to some, and for that I appologize. I suppose it should not concern me as to how you spend your money. Sorry for trying to bring a little experience to the forum.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
i dont think anyone is offended, just need some more definition as to why a sway bar isnt a good street option.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am not saying it is bad; however, adding a rear sway bar inherently stiffens the suspension creating a vehicle that will tend to oversteer rather than understeer. The point is that everything comes at a price. So, why do you want the sway bar? How fast are you going to take a corner. If the 75 mph abrupt turn to the righ or left to avoid a colision is the reason you want a rear sway bar, please allow me to explore the possibility that with the bar the vehicle will be more likely to spin rather than understeer. Understeer is easier to control than oversteer; therefore, the built in steering characteristic of the truck will be changed making it inherently harder to control once traction has been compromised.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
unibager said:
If the 75 mph abrupt turn to the righ or left to avoid a colision is the reason you want a rear sway bar, please allow me to explore the possibility that with the bar the vehicle will be more likely to spin rather than understeer.

Can you please explain this comment? What you are saying contradict's everything any suspension company states about rear sway bars and how they help handling overall.

Also, it has been my personal experience that by having a rear sway bar, traction gets better, not worse like your stating.

·
Banned
135 Posts
wperdigon said:
Can you please explain this comment? What you are saying contradict's everything any suspension company states about rear sway bars and how they help handling overall.

Also, it has been my personal experience that by having a rear sway bar, traction gets better, not worse like your stating.

Actually Unibager is dead nuts on...

·
Registered
777 Posts
unibager said:
Really! You want a rear sway bar on an "Off Road" truck. I dont know about the all of you, but I did not buy my NISMO to race on the stree

Oops, I meant street. Sereously though, it seems that everyone wants there truck to do something it was not designed to do; I ask, why buy the vehicle if it isnt fitting the bill?
people can use whatever they want for whatever they want...most people i gurantee bought this vechile not for offroading but for casual street light duty use...they can offroad yes...are they quick um yeah..low 15's soon to be high 14's (MODIFIED)...a rear sway bar seems to much for regular street use but i do see a huge benifit in saftey..which can be the diffrence in life or death maybe...i might jump on this one will..but im concentrating on the exterior right now

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
unibager said:
Maybe I am being offensive to some, and for that I appologize. I suppose it should not concern me as to how you spend your money. Sorry for trying to bring a little experience to the forum.
Unibager. Maybe you can share your experience with lifting 2WD trucks. How did that help/hurt your handling?
When weighing the plusses and minuses of suspension mods I would think that on a 2WD truck the better expenditure of money would be a swaybar and not a 3 inch lift. But that is just me. I don't go off-road, other than the gravel driveway out at the inlaws ranch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
MOBEEBO said:
Unibager. Maybe you can share your experience with lifting 2WD trucks. How did that help/hurt your handling?
quote]
I DONT HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE AT ALL IN LIFTING TRUCKS, 4X4 OR OTHERWISE. HOWEVER, WELL I SUPPOSE IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT I SAY MY HISTORY IS. I COULD SAY I AM A NASA SCIENTIST AND SOME WOULD STILL NOT BELEIVE WHAT I HAVE STATED HERE IS TRUE.
SO GOOD LUCK WITH THE SWAY BAR, AND WHEN THE REAR SEEMS TO STIFF AND SAFETY/PERFORMANCE IS YOUR GOAL. CONSIDER REDUCING THE SIZE OF THE FRONT SWAY BAR TO REDUCE THE EFFECT OF THE REAR.
GOOD LUCK.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
unibager said:
MOBEEBO said:
quote]
I DONT HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE AT ALL IN LIFTING TRUCKS, 4X4 OR OTHERWISE. HOWEVER, WELL I SUPPOSE IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT I SAY MY HISTORY IS. I COULD SAY I AM A NASA SCIENTIST AND SOME WOULD STILL NOT BELEIVE WHAT I HAVE STATED HERE IS TRUE.
SO GOOD LUCK WITH THE SWAY BAR, AND WHEN THE REAR SEEMS TO STIFF AND SAFETY/PERFORMANCE IS YOUR GOAL. CONSIDER REDUCING THE SIZE OF THE FRONT SWAY BAR TO REDUCE THE EFFECT OF THE REAR.
GOOD LUCK.
your taking this to personal - the problem here is that you are saying "that's not going to work" and your not providing any sort of scientific support or reasoning to justify your claims -

don't get upset when people are asking you to explain what your saying.......

·
Registered
152 Posts
please keep to the topic and do not ad any other unneeded comments
i am sure there are others on here that don't what to have to sift through 56+ pages of crap to actually see how the bar is coming along and when its coming out.
if you want to know how a sway bar works or the effects search or start another thread
thanks

81 - 100 of 131 Posts