Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for ideas for rear speakers in my 04 KC. I don't want to throw boxes back there and lose some of the little room back there. I saw a pic once of rear wall mounted round speakers but I don't remember who it was. I was thinking about possibly mounting plywood against the rear wall behind the carpet and surface mounting shallow 6.5" coax or triax speakers.

Has anyone done this or other type of space saving rear speaker addition ? Those two door speakers and pillar tweets just don't cut it. I have a 10" sub behind the drivers seat so I have all the bottom end I need. Just lookin' for some rear mids and highs to even out the sound.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
hit the junkyard and find a SE packaged hardbody king cab. some of them came with 6.5s mounted on the rear wall with factory brackets. im willing to bet nissan left the 3 bolts holes in your frontier for them since the trucks are practically the same once you get past the exterior looks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hit the junkyard and find a SE packaged hardbody king cab. some of them came with 6.5s mounted on the rear wall with factory brackets. im willing to bet nissan left the 3 bolts holes in your frontier for them since the trucks are practically the same once you get past the exterior looks.
Thats a sweet heads up. Thanks.

I will pull out my carpet back there and take a look. Frontiers and Hardbodies do not exist in junk yards where I live. WEird but there are endless junk yards in the Phila PA area and every place I call has nothing. I can check Nissan for availability. Maybe craigs list and ebay.

Seems like it's such an oddball thing to find yet something that should have been in there fom the factory.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't find the brackets anywhere. The dealership can't even find anything for rear KC speaker brackets. The only listing they have is for a small sub that mounts in the back.

Here is what I have to work with. The area that looks to be for speakers has two threaded M6 1.0 thread holes where the arrows are. Crutchfield has a listing for 4" speakers to go with the premium sound package. I have 6 1/2 speaker in the pic. It will stick out too far to open the jump seat if I were to mount it there.

I can make speaker brackets if need be but for time reasons, I would rather buy a set that is made for the truck. After the brackets and 6 1/2" speakers are there, the carpet would stick out too far to tuck back in the cab corners too.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i would just buy a really good set of comps and a good 2ch amp to power them and a small sub to provide the bass and be done with it.

for the front doors, forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
those are the holes. my 94 hardbody had the rear speakers, as well as my 96. a metal bracket bolts to the holes and spacers out a little bit. then there is a plastic trim ring and grille that goes around the whole thing.

you are correct about the clearance issues. you had to use a shallow speaker to get it to fit, and it needed a low profile grille to clear the jump seat.

anyhoo, i agree with mylt. focus your efforts on the front doors. youd be surprised what the right speakers can do.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would just buy a really good set of comps and a good 2ch amp to power them and a small sub to provide the bass and be done with it.

for the front doors, forgot to mention that.
Thanks. I have a 10" sub, amped and pointed at my spine that delivers wicked bass. I also have a four channel amp ready to go. I don't know if you have ever been in a first gen KC while driving with the windows open but those low mounted door speakers/pillar teweets don't deliver enough audible mid and highs. I don't care how much power you give them, upper sound range is more directional than bass and the door speakers are pointed at your ankles. Nissan corrected that little audio design flaw in the 2nd gens. The addition of mid range and highs at a decent height will fill the sound gap that's there.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
those are the holes. my 94 hardbody had the rear speakers, as well as my 96. a metal bracket bolts to the holes and spacers out a little bit. then there is a plastic trim ring and grille that goes around the whole thing.

you are correct about the clearance issues. you had to use a shallow speaker to get it to fit, and it needed a low profile grille to clear the jump seat.

anyhoo, i agree with mylt. focus your efforts on the front doors. youd be surprised what the right speakers can do.
Thanks again. The parts guy at my local nissan dealership can't locate any bracket for them. That's weird. Not too concerned about blocking the jump seat though. I'm just gonna' have to put the brackets on my mod list. Glad I have two threaded holes to work with anyway. Gonna' hit it with dynamat too.

My system sounds fine with the windows closed but the mids and highs disappear when the windows are down and I pick up speed. Believe me, I have dealt with this kind of situation before. I had a 94 jeep YJ with a soft top. I also gutted and re-did my 06 wrangler unlimited's system too. 6 speakers and a sub. All amped. You can drive without the top on the highway and enjoy listening to tunes now. If I wasn't worried about losing the little space I have back there, I would put boxes in the back of my KCand be done with it. I even have a set of 8" truck boxes from my old jeep to put in there. Need that space.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Thanks. I have a 10" sub, amped and pointed at my spine that delivers wicked bass. I also have a four channel amp ready to go. I don't know if you have ever been in a first gen KC while driving with the windows open but those low mounted door speakers/pillar teweets don't deliver enough audible mid and highs. I don't care how much power you give them, upper sound range is more directional than bass and the door speakers are pointed at your ankles. Nissan corrected that little audio design flaw in the 2nd gens. The addition of mid range and highs at a decent height will fill the sound gap that's there.
trust me, the 2nd gens arent much better. the mid's are still on the bottom of the door and to make it worse the tweeters are on top of the dash bouncing the sound off the glass. buy some kick panels or custom make some with the tweets and mids close to each other and you would be surprised at how they sound. i had to do that to a single cab toyota and even with the windows down and 33/12.50 mud tires i could hear the radio nice and clear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts