Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2002 for a couple years and am replacing the shock absorbers. The rear shocks seem impossible to remove because the rear stabilizer bar is in the way, which neither the Chilton book nor an online video saw fit to mention. Does this job now include replacing stabilizer bar bushings as well? Annoyed. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I've had my 2002 for a couple years and am replacing the shock absorbers. The rear shocks seem impossible to remove because the rear stabilizer bar is in the way, which neither the Chilton book nor an online video saw fit to mention. Does this job now include replacing stabilizer bar bushings as well? Annoyed. Thank you.
That is because that rear sway bar is aftermarket. You might be able to remove the top bolt/nut of the shock and rotate the shock around so that you can remove it. Otherwise you will need to either disconnect the end links (both) of the sway bar to swing it out of the way, or remove the mounts to swing it out of the way. No reason you need to replace the bushings. Would be a good time to grease them up if you decided to remove the mounts the gain access to the shock.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, it looks like you're going to have to unbolt the stabilizer bar end links and flop the sway bar downwards to you can slide the shock off the lower stud. OMG you have to love a CA truck. SO clean underneath for 16yrs/old!!

·
Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
1,094 Posts
If you're in there yes I'd install polyurethane bushings to improve handling (as much as you can on a 16-year-old truck).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moving the bar out of the way was no big deal and it did the trick. Thanks for the info. I had no idea this was aftermarket equipment and wondered why the manual didn't mention it.

And yeah, the weather in Sac is pretty mild, not boring like SoCal :) nor prone to heavy snows like Tahoe. Happy medium.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts