Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Dragging a Four Wheel Camper around and looking to remove the hitch to save a few pounds. Are there any bolt on recovery points for the rear? My understanding is that the factory bumper can't handle it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Definitely do not use the bumper. Removing the hitch will not save any noticeable weight, it won't gain you anything.

You could buy an aftermarket bumper with recovery points, but thats a bit of coin.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
Josh, just curious how heavy your double axle camper is and how the Frontier does with it.

My FIL intends to tow their new Jayco ~20 footer double axle with their new to them 2017 Frontier (in my sig). I have to get a hitch and brake controller put on first. Their trailer's wight is ~4300lbs IIRC.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Hi all,
Dragging a Four Wheel Camper around and looking to remove the hitch to save a few pounds. Are there any bolt on recovery points for the rear? My understanding is that the factory bumper can't handle it.
Thanks
If you have ever removed the cover of the stock bumper you can see that it is actually quite stout. I have before, but not on my Fronty, used the hitch hole in the stock bumper with a large shackle.

This guy has some good reads on the topic.
https://www.syncrosafari.org/towing-basics.html

Though defiantly not recommenced I have strapped off the rear axle and recovered right off it that many times in my old toyota.

With the rear hitch removed you can used the threaded hole locations and bolt up a couple of recovery hooks. The spacing of the holes are pretty standard. But I recall there being 2 common spacing for these hooks. I would still think that the bumper, being attached to both sides of the frame, to be stronger than just one hook. If using hooks be sure to have the little keeper clip.

The tow plates that KCKeppel listed below seem to be more secure when used with a shackle.

Check these out, I got some but they don't fit with the tow package installed but if you're planning on removing that you'd be ok. I ended up installing them on the front in place of the tow hook, they fit perfect up there too...

https://p-p-engineering.myshopify.c...-nissan-frontier-rear-bolt-on-recovery-points
The pic they have is for the front. Assume they have something similar for the rear.

good luck with prg
What does PRG have to do with this thread.

Definitely do not use the bumper. Removing the hitch will not save any noticeable weight, it won't gain you anything.

You could buy an aftermarket bumper with recovery points, but thats a bit of coin.
I am sure that an after market bumper is going to be heavier than the stock + hitch.

Josh, just curious how heavy your double axle camper is and how the Frontier does with it.

My FIL intends to tow their new Jayco ~20 footer double axle with their new to them 2017 Frontier (in my sig). I have to get a hitch and brake controller put on first. Their trailer's wight is ~4300lbs IIRC.
Double axle?

OP has a slide in cab over 4wheel camper that sits in the bed of his truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts