Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
03 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 MT V6
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post some pictures of the bumper I made this past summer for my 03 frontier if anyone is looking for ideas. I believe it's more of a pre-runner style since it uses tubing, but I could be wrong.
The departure angle went from about 27° to 55° with the hitch now being hidden up behind the license plate.
IMG_20190608_134848.jpg
IMG_20190714_164959.jpg
IMG_20190810_095607.jpg
IMG_20190829_180403.jpg
IMG_20190924_163133.jpg
IMG_20190924_163724.jpg

·
Registered
252 Posts
That turned out really nice!

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! Took me several months to complete, but I'm really happy with it.

That bumper is awesome! Nice job powder coating it too. You should build some more, I would by one!
If I didn't have a full time job and family I'd considered doing this stuff full-time, but I'd be more than happy to share the specs, parts, etc that went into it if anyone was interested in building it themselves?
This was literally my first time welding besides little muffler repair jobs, so it's pretty easy to pick-up with a mig welder.

·
Registered
None, yet
138 Posts
man, that is awesome looking. what was your cost, roughly? I think I have everything to do that, tool wise, minus maybe a chop saw

·
Registered
903 Posts
its ALL about the custom plates!!!! :cool:(y)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
man, that is awesome looking. what was your cost, roughly?
Thank you!
$60 for the tubing (discount price), $100 for the bender die (split the cost with a friend), $50 for a half gallon of bedliner, and roughly $150 for accessories (flip up plate holder, D rings, aux lights and wiring, 7/8 drill bit, grinding wheels, steel plates from junk yard, etc).

I'm not sure I would use a cheap harbor freight bender and was fortunate to be able to use my buddies JD2 model 32 bender
I used a cut off wheel in my angle grinder for all cuts, but I will say it was probably not good for my lunges and I cleaned up about 3lbs of metal shaving dust off the ground when I was done. Chop saw will be my next investment before I make the front bumper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh man, I forgot about the tubing bender. I don't have that either.
Yeah, it's probably the most expensive part if you buy it on your own, but even bumper kits that you have to assemble after you buy them are usually more expensive than a really good bender plus the tubing, so it's worth it. Plus I really like that I made/designed it.

I will say, if I didn't have the tube bender, I would cut small notches where I want the bends to be, then bend it by hand. Kind of like the attached picture shows, but put a few notches per bend for the rounding effect, and then weld each cut once the angles are right.

·
Registered
None, yet
138 Posts
I always say I am going to buy a tubing bender but then I forget because I am not doing exhaust anymore. that would be my primary reason. that notch way is a good way too, just more time consuming

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe exhaust benders and tube benders are different, but I could be wrong

1 - 16 of 16 Posts