Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice from the experts. My son and I are going to replace the rear main seal to stop oil leak. My son and I have just started over the last year trying to do our own repairs. While we are undertaking this what else while I doing this should I replace??? Any help would be great.

Also our 99 4x4 has a body lift and would love to change this to a suspension lift, but I am not finding any thing on the net. Any sugestions if so where can I find it.

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I wouldn't bother taking that body lift off. It's already on there you might as well keep it. With the addition of a mild suspension lift you can probably run 33s. Not to mention you said about doing the repairs yourself, on a few occasions that body lift will make your job easier.

As you've probably already realized there's not much of an aftermarket for these trucks. 4x4parts.com has a lot of stuff. I've ordered from them countless time and never had a bad experience.

·
Registered
383 Posts
is it a 4 banger or a six? 5 spd? auto? if it is a 5 spd, a good recomendation would be to also change the clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing. not too hard to do if you are mechanically inclined. also while you are in there, check your sensors for continuity. A haynes or chiltons manual is preferable when becoming a D.I.Y. guy!

on the 4 banger, here are some torque specs(listed in ft lbs):

1. rear main seal housing: 56 in lbs or 5 ft lbs
2. fly wheel bolts: 110
3. pressure plate:
step 1: 10
step 2: 20
4. bell housing to block bolts: 30
5. bell housing cover to bellhousing: 15

I have alot more info for the 1st gen. any questions i can answer lemme know!!

:noworries:

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Yes what engine? The 3.3 are known to have a little "weep" at the rear main, if its not a good drip leave it, its not worth the work.

To change from a body lift to a suspension lift, remove the body lift and install the suspension lift. They have nothing to do with one another. You will need to get the correct bolts for the body mounts.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes what engine? The 3.3 are known to have a little "weep" at the rear main, if its not a good drip leave it, its not worth the work.

To change from a body lift to a suspension lift, remove the body lift and install the suspension lift. They have nothing to do with one another. You will need to get the correct bolts for the body mounts.
the 2.4 has a "weep hole" also...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts