Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So my rear bumper got smashed by some guy in S.F. a couple years ago and I'm just now getting around to fixing it. Insurance is gonna cover 350 for the bumper and another 750 or so for labor. I wanted to replace the stock with something stronger and better looking. Interested in KMA but not sure about install (planing on doing bumper removal and install myself and taking it to shop for the body work.) Will the multicarier (bumper only option) be an easy install? I don't have any lift on the truck, btw. Anybody have any other suggestions? I've looked at the KMA postrunner and the calmini pre-run bumper but I like the kma multi bumper a little better. Anyone know of other bumpers out there? not trying to go full customized either, too much $$$. Thanks all.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I had a KMA. At the time it was a pain in the *** because the mounting holes were not predrilled. Went through two unibits drilling the 12 holes in the mounting bracket. I think they drill them now. Also there is a small plate welded to the outer edges of the frame. I had to grind down the bottom edge of that plate to allow the bumper brackets to slide up and into position without catching. Use some blocks of wood and a sledge to pound it in place. I nice jack and a buddy to help out are good too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Be sure to let them know if you have a body lift. The brackets need to match the body lift.

The basic KMA rear bumper is just a 6x6" square tube cut for a rear step and notched for the fenders. The angle iron brackets for mounting slip in around the rear frame rails. Dimensioning was good with mine and just required drilling holes to match the eixisting Nissan mount points (allows some forward/back adjustment to suit taste). I don't recall any interference issues with a plate on the frame. Could be I just don't remember.

It's quite heavy. Have someone to help if you can. I used a piece of 2" square tube mounted to my 30" rolling floor jack to fit the bumper receiver tube. Made it simple to maneuver into place. Something similar could be fabbed for a shorter jack, or just use muscle. I did mine by myself.

I fabbed my own swing away, not sure what the KMA one is like. I did read a post on ExpeditionPortal about it though. Apparently, install wasn't a problem, but over time the stop to keep it from swinging out too far failed and the swingaway caused some fender damage.

I don't know if you are considering the front as well, but I had alignment issues with mine. Apparently that's common. I had to fab an inner bumper to allow me to shift it sideways 1/4". Not a big problem if you have a welder and cutoff saw, but definitely takes some extra time and effort. (One benefit was that the inner bumper now provides lower rad protection as well, it's wide open for damage otherwise unless you have a heavy front skid - mine's only 11ga.).

In general they're good bumpers, ugly welds, heavy but solid, definitely need a good paint job, may have some alignment issues with the front bumpers. One thing I don't like is that the shackle mounts and angle iron mount channels are just surface welded to the tube. It would be nice if the shackle mounts extended through and were also the mount plates. Potentially a really heavy tug could deform the tube and/or crack the welds.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
i put my kma on by myself using two small ratchet straps and the tie down cleats in the bed. drilling the holes wasn't very fun, but i think i did a pretty good job. :) i have a 3" bl, so obviously i ordered the bumper with the right brackets. i had no fitment issues other then trying to get the holes drilled in the right places the first time

if you get a kma be sure to ask if they can still do the cut lower corners (see pic in my sig). cast about $60ish over their standard bumper. nj05nismo designed it.:) also, order it unfinished and have it painted/powdercoated yourself. they job they did on mine is absolute crap. mostly rust now

·
Registered
244 Posts
i put my kma on by myself using two small ratchet straps and the tie down cleats in the bed. drilling the holes wasn't very fun, but i think i did a pretty good job. :) i have a 3" bl, so obviously i ordered the bumper with the right brackets. i had no fitment issues other then trying to get the holes drilled in the right places the first time

if you get a kma be sure to ask if they can still do the cut lower corners (see pic in my sig). cast about $60ish over their standard bumper. nj05nismo designed it.:) also, order it unfinished and have it painted/powdercoated yourself. they job they did on mine is absolute crap. mostly rust now
X2. Within 6 months. I did mine with an Endura self-etching epoxy primer and an EX2C topcoat. I sprayed it fairly dry with excess air to get a light bedliner texture to it and to keep it as flat in color as possible. Stuff is damn near as tough as powdercoat, but you can do it at home with a small compressor and cheap gun. Toxic though, so use a respirator, even outdoors.

BTW I want the Mini.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I emailed Kyle and he said the holes are now pre-drilled and it mounts directly in existing place. Thanks for the tips concerning painting, i'll definatley consider that. I guess my only question before deciding to buy this is is it worth it? I plan to do some off-roading, including rock crawling, so my reasoning is that a tougher rear bumper will save me headaches and hassle down the line over the stock bumper in terms of damage and strength. With shipping and everything it's going to be about $150 more than if I just ordered the stock bumper from Nissan. BTW I have tools and access to jack and help so I'm confident about the install, I don't weld though. Thanks again, I'll keep you guys postd as the project progresses.:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you do any wheeling at all, I'd recommend changing the rear bumper. Even more so than the front. The tail end of these trucks is bloody long. I doubt I could count the number of times I've dragged the bumper through or over stuff or had to push it through going backwards. The spare tire underneath tends to reduce some of the beating, but it gets pretty beat up too.

I think they're worth it. Not the prettiest, nor the most technical (Shrock and ARB tend to rely on bends for strength, KMA stuff is beefier) but if you wheel, pretty's not your primary concern.

I wouldn't buy mine again, only because I'd build essentially the same thing from scratch, but at the time it was just as cheap to ship front and rear bumpers together which made the price competitive with scratch building.

A stuck shot of what mine have been through. I've got one stone dent in the front from backing off a boulder too quickly, but haven't done any other metal damage to either front or rear. They are tough.

·
Senior Forum Moderator
1,138 Posts
X2. Within 6 months. I did mine with an Endura self-etching epoxy primer and an EX2C topcoat. I sprayed it fairly dry with excess air to get a light bedliner texture to it and to keep it as flat in color as possible. Stuff is damn near as tough as powdercoat, but you can do it at home with a small compressor and cheap gun. Toxic though, so use a respirator, even outdoors.

BTW I want the Mini.
x3 my front bumper is a year old and is starting to get some pretty good rust spots on it.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
. I guess my only question before deciding to buy this is is it worth it? I plan to do some off-roading, including rock crawling, so my reasoning is that a tougher rear bumper will save me headaches and hassle down the line over the stock bumper in terms of damage and strength.
If you do any wheeling at all, I'd recommend changing the rear bumper. Even more so than the front. The tail end of these trucks is bloody long. I doubt I could count the number of times I've dragged the bumper through or over stuff or had to push it through going backwards. The spare tire underneath tends to reduce some of the beating, but it gets pretty beat up too.

x2!! so incredibly worth it. i have seen stock bumpers turned into scrap metal on light impact from below, which is where the beatings will come from when on the rocks. the kma is a very beefy bumper, it would probably kill about any car that thought it a good idea to rear end ya. if you plan on wheelin on the rocks then get the kma or something other then stock, unless you just really want to replace the stock one again......and again............and again.......:laugh:

·
Registered
881 Posts
X3 I backed into a tree on Daniel once at URE and it did nothing to the bumper. I also had a friend weld on bed side protection to the ends of the bumper.
Hey, I remember that. Do you have a link to the thread where you posted the pictuers. I could never find it again afterward?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I fabbed my own swing away, not sure what the KMA one is like. I did read a post on ExpeditionPortal about it though. Apparently, install wasn't a problem, but over time the stop to keep it from swinging out too far failed and the swingaway caused some fender damage.
Can you post some pic's showing what you did?

·
Registered
844 Posts
good thing that tree was there too!! made the perfect launch spot:laugh::laugh:
Yeah I usually hate trees when wheeling, but that one kept me from rolling backwards and off the trail. I thanked it by backing into it a couple of times. I wish I had pics of it too I only have from earlier on the trail.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right on ya'll. I think i'm gonna order it tommorow, only wish I could get the front too to make the shipping worth it. I want to change the front some day but I can't afford it right now. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
ask them to add some type of bedside protection.

·
Registered
244 Posts
ask them to add some type of bedside protection.
I've been thinking about that. I was planning on slider extensions under the fenders from off the bumper, to match my body sliders, but there really isn't room. When I pull my box this month to repaint, I'm going to cut the fenders so I can keep the box protection at the same height or higher than the spring arch.

Oh picture link coming. It's a big one. 35MB because I didn't compress. Could take a little while.

OK here's the picture link. It's big, 35MB so bear with it for a bit. It's not broken.

If there's any interest I could clean it up a bunch for a regular posting.

Carrier pivots on right

I apologize, but the pictures I had from when I built it are on the drive of my old computer and Windows won't let me get at them right now.

Here's another from a previous posting on a local site. They're from when I was first fabbing the swingaway. Swing away tire carrier - Topic Powered by Eve For Enterprise

1 - 18 of 18 Posts